jetting question

• silverhammer
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Jul 2006 21:16 #63535 by silverhammer
jetting question was created by silverhammer
Hi All,

The bike is a 84 gpz750 It has a 4into1 and a kerker can and a stock airbox ..It wont start easy cold and has bogging issues I'm wondering if anybody knows jet sizes I should look at and if I do pods what the jetting should be then

Thanx, Silverhammer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2006 23:14 #63560 by gpzrox
Replied by gpzrox on topic jetting question
Silver -- I too have an 84 GPZ, and can pretty much tell you that your carbs probably need gone through before you even attempt to rejet. Both symptoms indicate that.

Then it depends on the pods, which brand, the condition of your ignition system, and surprisingly enough, could depend on where you live. Alot of variables. Want an easy fix with everything there? Does Dynojet or somebody make a kit? Stage 3 is what you would want I believe.

Your still gonna be in for alot of test and tune time, I bet, if you are gonna do it right. What to start with? Let me find the link.

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...ew/id,60427/catid,3/

Post edited by: gpzrox, at: 2006/07/21 02:18

84 GPZ750. Modded with stock Kawasaki parts: ZR-7 shock, ZX-6 coils, GPZ1100 throttle, EN454 brake, GPZ900 fuse box, etc. and non stock: Ken Sears mirrors, K&N filter, Pirelli Sport Demons.

More
21 Jul 2006 05:50 #63587 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic jetting question
I would NOT use a Stage 3 kit. They are pretty lame at best and in this case would be far too rich on top.

My suggestion would be to try and ride the bike with the header and see how it runs. I suggest the pipe won't make all that much difference over the stock system in this case. My only concern would be if your Kerker had no baffle and might create a flat spot. If it does, you will have to shim your jet needles as I don't think they have clip positions. Use genuine Mikuni shims as these are cut more precisely than hardware store washers. Use two clips per jet needle, if needed. On top, see if you can pull redline through the rpm range. If you can't, you are a tad lean. The OEM main jets are a bit puny so go up to about #120s and retry the pull at the top, if needed.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!