Need Help to solve problem for good!

More
20 Jul 2006 16:47 #63469 by Rivthis
Need Help to solve problem for good! was created by Rivthis
OkOk Here is the problem! its a 79 Z 650 sr. Ive taken the carbs apart 3 times! its a bitch! Yah know. It runs great after Cleaning every little orfus! Now! after a few Rides it begins to rough idle. No longer clean accelaration! Sputter sputter and so on. The #2 carb is leaking gas out of the overflow tube when I slow down or stop. etc! Is it another stuck float?? Here is what I have not done to the bike since I have owned it. Clean the gul Darn tank!!! Im suspicuous of shit / seditment in the tank clogging the floats and orfissess!!! is this a correct assumption? Sorry for the cus words Crappy day at Work! Can I attach Gas line filters to the hoses to prevent further Headaches?? Please let me know on theese issues Fellas. Sincerally M Lee S in Idaho.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2006 17:21 #63474 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Need Help to solve problem for good!
An inline gas filter is a must. The tiniest bit of crud can block a jet or the needle valve where the gas enters the carb. You can pick them up for a couple of $ in any bike shop. You may also want to empty the tank, take off the petcock and see what crud has gathered around the petcock screen.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
20 Jul 2006 19:06 #63500 by Rivthis
Replied by Rivthis on topic Need Help to solve problem for good!
Thanks. Will do. Just got finished doing the JOB! That is a clear to me! Thank you. M Lee S in Idaho. 79 Z 650SR. Ill give it a test Ride!
Attachments:

More
21 Jul 2006 06:20 #63608 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Need Help to solve problem for good!
M Lee S, Here is what I would do... I would get a small spray bottle and put some water in it. When the bike starts idling rough, spray some water on the pipes. If the spray vaporizes, the cylinder is firing. If it is not firing, the water will roll off. I think you have combustion problems; probably NOT being caused by the carbs. The carb overflowing when the bike is running is another dandy symptom. The carb is atomizing gas but it isn't burning. It is flowing out and you are blaming the float? Perhaps the float or float needle/seat are getting some crud and that is contributing but probably lack of combustion.

MOST combustion problems when gas IS flowing (as yours is) are due to:

1. compression issues (check valve clearances)
2. ignition problems (power to coils, the wires/caps or coils or the ignition itself)

I suggest you get a manual and perform the normal tunign steps after checking compression. Do this with the throttle held wide open. If you find compression down, adjust valve clearances and recheck. Check the power to the coils using a multimeter. Turn key on and measure the power at the power lead going into the coils. If these are both OK, then do an ignition tune up after checking the primary/secondary coil windings by checking their impedences. If you need help with any of this, ask or get a manual as it outlines the steps to do this. Also, please stop posting non-thread related images in the tech section. MANY of the members (including me) are on VERY slow dial up connections. Your cooperation in this is very much appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!