Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Transition holes: 18 Jul 2006 09:52 #62896

• bobthebike
  • bobthebike's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys: I'm in the process of getting my '82 KZ1000 LTD running a bit better. She stumbles horribly off idle. Upon getting into the carbs, I noticed that carb #3 hasn't any transition holes contrary to the other carbs. Is this normal? Is there a way around this condition short of buying a new carb? Thanks for any replys in advance. ,BK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transition holes: 19 Jul 2006 13:18 #63194

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
That is the first I have heard of a "transition hole"... what are you referring to? Do you have a pic? You could go to www.kawasaki.com -> owner info > parts diagrams -> carb parts and look at the picture of your carb and come up with a name they give a "transition hole"... or perhaps take a pic?
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Transition holes: 19 Jul 2006 14:57 #63207

• bobthebike
  • User
George: First of all, thanks bunch for the inquiry! Per my buddy, they are drilled in the body of the carb. Looking from the engine side of the carb, they are at the very top of the throat and are barely covered by the butterfly at idle. When you throttle, the butterflys rotate and uncover them. They are very small. Hope this makes sense! ,BK

Post edited by: bobthebike, at: 2006/07/19 17:58

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 06:04 #63339

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
you have a C.V. carb with no transition holes??

they all have them if not you have a freak carburator

the transition holes are fed by the pilot circut to help transist from idle/pilot to needle circuts located right behind butterfly on top or bottom depending on carb style

if that orafice is plugged it will cause a stumble/flat spot in the lower rev range just above idle

very important they are there!! and clear!!

#3 is the base carb on your bike but I have NEVER run across a carb assembly without them

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/07/20 09:04

Post edited by: trippivot, at: 2006/07/20 09:13

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 06:08 #63340

• wiredgeorge
  • User
About half the slides from BS34 carbs don't have the "transition holes". I have bunches of both sitting on my shelf...some have 'em and some don't.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 06:12 #63341

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Constant Velocity carbs have these

mechanical carbs are different

arent you in the carburator business?

time for school.

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 06:29 #63346

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 434
Transition holes - so thats what they're called. Always wondered. Tiny little things. Cant see them without my glasses but can vouch for the fact that if plugged the bike stutters an runs like crap at low rpm. First time I've seen em mentioned here

CV34 carbs on the beast

Post edited by: JR, at: 2006/07/20 09:30
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 08:13 #63379

• bobthebike
  • User
Geez, I'm half tempted to go to the Kawk shop and shake 'em down for that freak carb! Tried to richen her up to get around that flat spot, but the stumble still persists. At least I can get her inspected now. ,BK

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 13:29 #63439

• ibsen22000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I believe the name used in the Kawasaki workshop manual is; secondary pilot outlet.
But as trippivot said, a part of the mixture drawn through the pilot jet and the pilot air jet is bypassing the pilot screw and primary outlet, securing a richer mixture through the secondaty pilot outlet in the transition from the idle circuit to the needle jet and jet needle curcuit. With the carb butterflies closed, you won't see this outlet. And if this outlet is clogged, you will get the problem you described.

Transition holes: 20 Jul 2006 16:09 #63460

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
wiredgeorge wrote:

About half the slides from BS34 carbs don't have the "transition holes". I have bunches of both sitting on my shelf...some have 'em and some don't.

They wouldnt be on the slides. They are tiny holes in the bore of the carbs near the butterfly valve. They are located between the buttlerfly valves and the slides and when the butterfly is opened slightly, the engine draws fuel from these holes and "transitions" the engine from the idle curcuit to the needle jet and jet needle (often refered to as the mid range).
Class is over,
Bwahahaha,
Fish

Transition holes: 21 Jul 2006 06:44 #63622

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Bob, I misunderstood your initial post with your description of the location of these holes. I visualized the holes in the side of the slide. My mistake. The holes I refer to are towards the top of the slide and on the side. Some slides have them and some don't. As for me and my carb business... well, I am still learning. That is what keeps it fun for me I guess...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Transition holes: 21 Jul 2006 10:59 #63679

• bobthebike
  • User
George: I'm also learning at this. Looks like there a some folks out there giving you the good-natured rub over this. But hey, we all know a little more to help each other than we did a week ago. That's what this forum is all about! I originally had all the tickets, etc for Mid-Ohio this coming week, but the family vacation took precedence. That would have been a great place to meet/talk with everybody. My mechanic buddy is driving up and will be on the look-out for a good carb. Maybe he'll bump into you! Thanks again for all your help! Regards, BK

• Page: