Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 07:55 #6266

• robhavens
  • robhavens's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I notice yesterday that upon deceleration the decelorator was keeping the idle at around 1700 to 1950 RPM. this is higher than it was a few weeks ago at 1500 RPM. It would slow down if i pushed the grip forward a bit, and it would stay there. Do they need to be oiled and how do you do it without taking off the tank and dismantling them from the carbs. Or is there a return spring in the grip that may be worn out? If so , i guess it would take a new throttle assembly. Oh, This is for a KZ 650, 1978.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 08:35 #6274

• DasTeufel
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I would lubricate the cables and the linkage at the carbs. I prefer to pull the cables off the motorcycle and while working the cables in and out of the outer sheathing, spray lube or drop some 4-n-1 oil down inside. The only return springs are on the carburetor linkage, if they snap back when the cables are off I would suspect that they are fine.

I just reread your post and you asked if it were possible to lube the cables without taking the them off the carbs..it is possible, but whether or not you got them adequately lubed would be iffy.

Post edited by: DasTeufel, at: 2005/11/03 11:37
2009 KTM 690 SMC
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2001 Suzuki GSXR 750

Wildomar, CA

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 09:05 #6282

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
The cable can be lubed while still connected. Just open up your right handlebar switch, and put some oil into the 2 cable opennings in the lower half of the switch. Let it drain down, a little at a time. As for what type of lube to use, some say WD40, others say something like 3 in 1. Also grease up around the throttle tube where the cable ends attach.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 09:58 #6286

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
When lubing the cables on the bike, be careful to protect your gas tank or remove it. The oil will drip out of the bottom of the adjusters of the right hand control switch right on to yor tank!
:pinch:
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 11:09 #6291

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The carb spring likely hasn't worn out. It is MOST likely that you need to adjust your cables. Most folks make the mistake of running their cables a bit tight. With the throttle closed, you should see a bit of slack on both cables. Put the slack in using the adjusters up near the switchgear/throttle. As far as lubing your cables, this is routine maintenance. Motion Pro sells a cable lube attachment which fits over your cables. You then put the nozzle from some spray cable lube in a hole in the tool and it forces lube down the cable where it will run out at the end. Remove the two screws holding your swichgear together and remove both throttle cables to do this from the throttle. Pay attention to how they came off the throttle. Also, remove the throttle and put some grease on the handlebar so the throttle will move freely.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Accelorator and Decellorator Cable lube 03 Nov 2005 15:45 #6322

• robhavens
  • robhavens's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks to everyone for the help.

• Page: