vinyl fuel line?

More
17 Jul 2006 09:08 #62600 by pistolpete
vinyl fuel line? was created by pistolpete
Can I use vinyl tubbing from the hardware store as fuel line, or will the gas break it down too fast? I already bought the black fuel line from the autoparts store, but would kind of like somthing transparent.

Also, what vent lines should I run? I assume carb-overflow should go out under the bike, but what about the bowl vent?

Thanks

Post edited by: pistolpete, at: 2006/07/17 12:14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2006 09:14 #62602 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic vinyl fuel line?
i use clear fuel line on all my bikes,i get it from DENNIS KIRK its cheap.

More
17 Jul 2006 09:16 #62603 by SuperTrey
Replied by SuperTrey on topic vinyl fuel line?
I bought some really cool blue transparent fuel line from my local aftermarket parts shop. I don't know what it is made of though it is designated as fuel line. It also has "parts unlimited" on it, which is a big aftermarket parts outfit. Look at this link street.parts-unlimited.com/10/1315/2497968

More
17 Jul 2006 11:16 #62643 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic vinyl fuel line?
Clear vinyl line from the hardware store will not last more than a couple days as fuel line. You can use clear line, but has to be made for use with gas and hardware store stuff isn't

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Jul 2006 12:37 #62677 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic vinyl fuel line?
If you buy the hardware hose used for water, you might want to pick up a good large capacity fire extinguisher rated for use on petroleum fires...

You might want to buy something that is DOT approved for fuel line use... like at an autoparts store. I buy ugly black stuff as it is the most durable and once it starts to get nasty inside, it still looks like the ugly black stuff. If you get see-through hose, not matter how spiffy when new, it will look cruddy inside after awhile.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2006 15:38 #62709 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic vinyl fuel line?
wiredgeorge wrote:

If you buy the hardware hose used for water, you might want to pick up a good large capacity fire extinguisher rated for use on petroleum fires...

You might want to buy something that is DOT approved for fuel line use... like at an autoparts store. I buy ugly black stuff as it is the most durable and once it starts to get nasty inside, it still looks like the ugly black stuff. If you get see-through hose, not matter how spiffy when new, it will look cruddy inside after awhile.

:P B)

More
17 Jul 2006 19:23 - 03 Dec 2008 18:48 #62756 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 18:48 by JMKZHI.

More
18 Jul 2006 14:04 #62950 by pistolpete
Replied by pistolpete on topic vinyl fuel line?
That's what I thought, just checking as I did use the vinyl line for my carb float tool and didn't see it break down. My fuel filters are clear, so it isn't all bad.

thanks

More
20 Jul 2006 17:40 #63484 by KawasakiJockey
Replied by KawasakiJockey on topic vinyl fuel line?
I use the clear vinyl fuel line on the z1r. Its been about 3 yrs. Bought the roll at Home Depot for 4 bucks I think. As long as there is fuel in the line it works fine. If you drain the line it becomes hard and brittle. Pliable with fuel in it. Needless to say, I put on a new pc. everytime I have to disconnect it.

More
20 Jul 2006 17:55 #63486 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic vinyl fuel line?
i too use the clear line. put a zip-tie on the ends, because they tend to get stiff and the zip-tie will ensure a snug fit. other than that, it works fine.