Leak and part number?

More
18 Aug 2024 13:06 #903402 by lovethemkzs
Leak and part number? was created by lovethemkzs
Okay I just bought an 82 KZ 1100 d specter looks nice but carburetors leaking I believe it's the Overflow not 100% sure I want to take the carbs off and rebuilt them because I'm having an issue with idle also when fully warm sometimes the idle will be very low so I turned it up a little and just a little and then sometimes out of the blue it'll just start revving it real high.
 everywhere I look for a rebuild kit on eBay says it don't fit and I can't find one on Amazon K1 Industries wants over $100 just for one carburetor kit that's outrageous so I'm trying to find out what part number for the carburetors for the rebuild kit and if anybody has any idea of why the revving high and low and the leak would be greatly appreciated
I used to own a kz750 and that bike I never had to choke it I don't care whether it was hot or cold out or anything I started didn't work so I bump started it and every single time it would start right up I never had a problem with that bike I love that bike but now with just 1100 a few little problems I saw the Leaky valve cover gasket but a little sloppy of a job with gasket sealer I got to clean it but if anybody can help me out I probably appreciate it thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2024 16:27 - 18 Aug 2024 16:32 #903411 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Leak and part number?
Rebuild kits always include more parts than you need and are almost always greatly inferior to factory parts.

The metal parts, like jets, very rarely need to be replaced unless they have been abused. In most cases, all that needs to be replaced are the orings and gaskets, sometimes the float valves.

If you insist on kits, Keyster kits are the only ones I would trust.

I believe board member Nessism has assembled oring kits for those carburetors, which can save you the annoyance of ordering them all individually from Kawasaki.

Since the motorcycle is new to you, I recommend doing all of the routine maintenance as listed in the owner's manual and in the factory service manual. It is quite likely that much of it has never been done. Especially important are things like brake service, fork service and valve adjustment. These are often overlooked. The first two can save your life, the valve adjustment can save the life of your engine.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 18 Aug 2024 16:32 by TexasKZ.

More
18 Aug 2024 16:34 #903413 by lovethemkzs
Replied by lovethemkzs on topic Leak and part number?
Thank you basically all I needed was gaskets I would definitely clean the Jets myself and make sure there is no other problems like the float in adjusting wrong but I'm going to do a search for him and see if he can leave me in the right direction thank you

More
19 Aug 2024 03:27 #903424 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Leak and part number?
Ditto Texas's thoughts, reach out to Ness, he has all the "necessary" rubber bits. NO reason to resort to Amazon, doubt it's quality original parts anyway. As far as "overflowing combined with fluctuating unstable running", that would be float needle/seat not seating correctly or junk within the fuel passage. Pull your petcock on tank and check filter tower, especially screen around the bottom, they rot-out bottom to top. 

More
19 Aug 2024 09:47 - 19 Aug 2024 09:49 #903440 by lovethemkzs
I want to thank everyone Texas kz thank you yes when I bought it from the dealership they said it was restored about 5 6 7 years ago the bike looks really great so not exactly sure what they did but I'm going over it as far as the carburetors I found the bowl gasket and basically you wouldn't believe the amount of carburetors that it fits years and cc's so I ordered that and I did order a petcock as someone else mentioned and I appreciate that so I'll start there looking at the carbs just basically thinking since I replaced the valve cover gasket I kind of just push the fuel line on the petcock and I might not have put the clamp on so that could be the whole issue with the leak but not the low and high idle I do believe a folk pen is not seating properly I'll check everything out but I'll look next time I go to storage and check the bike out thanks everyone
Last edit: 19 Aug 2024 09:49 by lovethemkzs.

More
19 Aug 2024 10:33 #903441 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Leak and part number?
gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/~cliff/stor...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

This rebuild tutorial is for the Suzuki version of the same carbs you have, Mikuni BS34's.  The GS and KZ carbs are very similar, so most of the info in the tutorial is the same as your carbs.

I strongly recommend doing a full teardown and cleanout.  Then, reassemble with new float bowl gaskets and a proper O-ring kit.  

Shortcuts make for more work in the end, after the bike doesn't run right.  Take your time and do the rebuild job correctly, the first time.

More
19 Aug 2024 16:38 #903453 by TexasKZ
If the motorcycle sat for some months without being ridden, the fuel in the carburetors will have dried out, leaving behind petrified deposits that will clog tiny passageways and prevent the float valves from properly seating. This will cause problems with running and idling. If the fuel contained ethanol, the problem will be worse since ethanol is hygroscopic. It will suck moisture out of the air and cause all sorts of nasty corrosion.
As Nessism mentioned, a complete tear down, careful cleaning and inspection is the only way to insure that all that crap has been removed.

More
19 Aug 2024 16:45 #903454 by TexasKZ
Complete restoration is an oft abused term. For some, all that is needed to do a complete restoration is a gallon of body filler, a case of cheap spray paint and a large bottle of Armorall.
For others, that term means to make that machine as close to factory new in every single aspect as is humanly possible. 
I hope yours is closer to the second, but the only way to know for sure is to take a look.

More
19 Aug 2024 16:49 #903455 by lovethemkzs
Well I think you put a tutorial I have done Suzuki in the past somebody gave me a Suzuki 750 when laying on his side for 4 years in the woods got it running automobile and everything Carburetors in the past I am a mechanic also my thoughts are this winter when the bikes in storage to send you the carbs and have you doing total redone sandblasted and powder coated all the outside parts and I will be having the engine totally rebuilt so I can have the bike in good shape for next year I'll have the forks done and everything new brakes everything so I look forward to Switzer sending you the carbs if you don't have a problem pallet getting the powder coated I have no problem or maybe I have to disassemble them get them plow recorded and send them to you then either way I'm looking forward to you having them this winter right now I don't want to put the bike out of commission I want to get a little riding in in the rest of this year also I want people to excuse me I'm using Text to Speech to Text rather and if there's any words that don't seem correct my apologize thank you everybody

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
20 Aug 2024 01:04 #903462 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Leak and part number?

Well I think you put a tutorial I have done Suzuki in the past somebody gave me a Suzuki 750 when laying on his side for 4 years in the woods got it running automobile and everything Carburetors in the past I am a mechanic also my thoughts are this winter when the bikes in storage to send you the carbs and have you doing total redone sandblasted and powder coated all the outside parts and I will be having the engine totally rebuilt so I can have the bike in good shape for next year I'll have the forks done and everything new brakes everything so I look forward to Switzer sending you the carbs if you don't have a problem pallet getting the powder coated I have no problem or maybe I have to disassemble them get them plow recorded and send them to you then either way I'm looking forward to you having them this winter right now I don't want to put the bike out of commission I want to get a little riding in in the rest of this year also I want people to excuse me I'm using Text to Speech to Text rather and if there's any words that don't seem correct my apologize thank you everybody
You are doing just fine