Handicap LH throttle and control

More
25 May 2024 05:57 #899696 by asphalt900
Handicap LH throttle and control was created by asphalt900
Has anyone ever converted the RH to LH throttle and control. Have a Friend with just a Left arm and wanting to change over controls. YES, i know it sound interesting. Trying a KZswitchblock switched to the LH side but...any ideas??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
25 May 2024 07:29 #899698 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
I have never even thought of doing so, but agree it sounds like an interesting project.  What all does the left hand now need to control?  Maybe if you installed the right hand control upside down on the left side, so the kill switch is on the bottom and start button and light control etc is upside down but facing the rider. I would think some changes to foot controls would also be required, as I can not think throttle and clutch with a single hand would be an easy thing to do.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900, Wookie58

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
25 May 2024 10:43 #899706 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
How about a right foot control set up so it's a "toe throttle" and "heel brake" (front brake) the.rear brake could be a left "thumb brake" like the race and stunt guys use. This would allow normal clutch operation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

More
26 May 2024 08:07 #899752 by Vinsky
Replied by Vinsky on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
How about a push/pull throttle with the cables reversed. A Hondamatic bike would simplify shifting too.

Vinsky
The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

More
26 May 2024 10:17 #899759 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
Thanks for the insight fellas!! Don't really want to complicate issues with "foot control" anything. He's been modifying bikes for years to serve his need to ride. Yes Vin, this switchblock does utilize the push/pull setup and they are omnidirectional so i can easily reverse the cable pull. He's familiar with a twist-up to increase speed and has been modifying his collection for years this way. I can mill thru the 180deg out of what we are used to and facilitate the turn signal function again, also the start. He'd brought me a "china" Magura look-alike but these carbs have a pretty stiff return spring, that's why i wanted to add that extra buffer of security uncase something goofy happened. Also the reason for using a quick-kill on that knob top. His singular forearm is about the size of my thigh, ha. And he's a true farmer, changes midsized tractor tires by HIMSELF!!   

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
26 May 2024 17:03 - 26 May 2024 17:24 #899775 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
How about a thumb throttle leveler like the Quads have?

Last edit: 26 May 2024 17:24 by Scirocco.

More
27 May 2024 16:14 #899829 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
I've been trying to figure out a similar mod to this for a while. My old.man has no fingers on his right hand (pinky's still there, but no tendons and hence no movement). He could still work a twist throttle on the right though, so all of my ideas were about brake/clutch mods for the left hand.
He does have two levers on the left on his snow machines. One down low for the throttle and one up high for the brake. Hard to transfer to a bike though. Need a clutch in there and need to be able to use clutch/throttle and clutch/brake simultaneously. Will be interested to see what you come up with.

More
10 Jun 2024 10:32 #900560 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Handicap LH throttle and control
Perhaps Goofy but i believe I've come to a solution. Verified by my buddy for function. Utilizes the original push/pull cables for safety. Horn button is now the electric start button. Clutch lever has a smidge shorter available total length because of the extra housing but not a big deal. This dude has massive hands, ha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum