Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Petcock Issue 20 Jun 2023 12:40 #886230

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Kind of drawing a blank on which way to go here.  One of the brass outlet tubes came out of the petcock on my '77 KZ1000 when I pulled the gas hose off to replace the filter.  Anyone had this happen to you and if so what was the "best" fix?  Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Petcock Issue 20 Jun 2023 13:31 #886234

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2089
Just press it back in. The last time that happened to me, I roughed up the surface of the part of the tube that goes inside the casting. As I recall, I used some coarse sand paper, just enough the roughen the surface a little.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Petcock Issue 20 Jun 2023 15:05 #886240

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1920
LOCTITE® 638

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Petcock Issue 20 Jun 2023 15:23 #886242

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
A little smear of JB Weld - if you have some handy - will work. And still works/working at least 10 years later
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Petcock Issue 21 Jun 2023 06:33 #886261

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
I used Permatex Liquid Metal: it comes in a tube, no mixing, and is fuel proof. Just a light smear on the outside of the nipple then press it into place.  I also repaired a leak on a low fuel switch at the rivet where the wire goes in. 

Another gasoline resistant product is Seal-All, mentioned here on KZR, but I've never used. Some hardware stores carry it.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Petcock Issue 22 Jun 2023 11:44 #886307

• Rick H.
  • User
Thanks again for the replies.  I did come across something called Vicpricme Metal Welding Glue.  It's a two part glue that you mix and use per the directions.  They had a video of the stuff showing two joined parts placed in boiling water and then gasoline.  The parts did not separate.  So I ordered some along with some Loctite 638.  I'll run a test with both and see what happens.  The problem for me is none of the local hardware stores or auto supply places have anything but normal everyday red and blue Loctite/Permatex products.  Anything else that I desire and I have to order off the web.  Kind of a bummer.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Petcock Issue 22 Jun 2023 19:46 #886321

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
Rick,
Loctite Red 263 might be easier to find.  It's also permanent (must be heated to 500 deg to remove) and is oil resistant.

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Petcock Issue 23 Jun 2023 05:15 #886328

• Rick H.
  • User
Thanks Scott.  I will see if that's available close by.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Petcock Issue 23 Jun 2023 06:51 #886329

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707
Are there any industrial supply stores in your area?  The type that sell stuff to local machine shops and similar?  Those type places sell different types of Loctite.  

Petcock Issue 06 Jul 2023 16:44 #886936

• Rick H.
  • User
Okay, just to close this thread out I thought I would mention what I used for this problem petcock pipe.  I tried Loctite 638, but it just didn't hold very well.  After a little investigation I found a substance called Vicpricme Welding Glue on Amazon.  It's a two part epoxy glue shipped in a dual syringe.  I watched a video showing how it is used and the results afterwards.  It seemed pretty good, but I am never sure buying anything from China where this stuff originates.  I took a chance and plunked down the $10.00 for it.  It arrived from Amazon in just a couple of days.  As soon as I received it I opened the box and read the skimpy directions and mixed some up (50/50) and let it cure on a paper plate.  The stuff dried hard as a rock and I was hopeful.  I then grabbed the petcock tube and cleaned, sanded and de-greased it and cleaned the petcock opening.  I mixed up a new batch of glue and "carefully" applied it to the tube making sure none of the glue got inside the tube.  I installed the tube carefully and built a bead of glue around the juncture of the tube and petcock.  The tube was well seated.  The wait began.  They say wait 24 hours for a good set, but I waited 48 hours.

After the waiting period I was unable to pull the tube out of the petcock.  I placed the gas tank back on my bike and connected the hoses and such.  It's a tedious job with the gas filters I use but it works.  Did I mention I hate small spring clamps.  I went out for a ride and viola, no leaks.  Now several days later I still have no leaks and I hope it stays that way.  I have included a picture of the glue that I slopped on the heads of two bolts and let dry.  You can see the glue kind of squeezed out between the two bolt heads.  I cannot separate these bolts by hand, they are held very tight together.  I have seen something similar to this glue before someplace, but I can't recall where.  Perhaps in motor vehicle body joints or something.  Anyway this stuff sure seems to work pretty darn good.  If you are looking for something to glue two different metals together or even the same metal, you may want to give this stuff a try.  Thanks for the suggestions but his stuff really works.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, sf4t7, Mikaw, Wookie58

Last edit: by Rick H..
  • Page: