Z650 VM24SS Snapped Pilot Screw

More
29 May 2023 13:18 #885363 by SeanBP
Z650 VM24SS Snapped Pilot Screw was created by SeanBP
Hopefully someone can give me some advice to save me from my own stupidity !

I've got 3 sets of carbs in total, one on the bike and two spares. It's a Z650B1, with VM24SS carbs - no two sets quite the same !

I'm working on refurbishing the spare sets to make them both usable, and met a problem with one of them. It's the transitional type, with air screws at the back and pilot screws under the front of the float bowls.

The problem is that two of the pilot screws are snapped off about 5mm below the tip. I'm pretty sure it's my fault from doing them up a little too tight. What I am wondering is, has anyone found a way to get the broken off bit out of the carburettor safely ?

The carbs are clean, so I'm thinking a squirt of carb cleaner just to dissolve any tiny amount of varnish that might be up there, then stick them upright in the ultrasonic cleaner in the hope that the vibration and warmth it created might work the needle tip loose, possibly with some gentle pressure from the flat of a screwdriver blade. But is there a better way, and anything I should be aware of to avoid making the problem worse than it already is ?

Thanks !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2023 15:37 - 29 May 2023 15:39 #885368 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Z650 VM24SS Snapped Pilot Screw
Bad position to be in. I would definately not try to push the tip out using anything to might deform the very fine tip of the needle making it even harder to remove without affecting either the throat hole diameter or the body taper.
I have had some success removing tips by firstly soaking them in carb cleaner for a day or so. 
Then using a can of aerosol carb cleaner with some small diameter tubing on it. Remove the carb slide and insert the tubing down the slide bore. Hold the open end of the tube over the needle tip tight against the carb bore and giving it a few good blasts of aerosol carb cleaner. 

Hopefully the soaking and pressure from the aerosol is enough to shift the needle tip. 

Sometimes works sometimes doesn't! 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 29 May 2023 15:39 by Warren3200gt.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
29 May 2023 16:06 #885370 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Z650 VM24SS Snapped Pilot Screw
This should help.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Wookie58