Smog and vacuum line delete

More
07 May 2023 19:16 #884374 by Dunemaster
Smog and vacuum line delete was created by Dunemaster
I am using the engine from a KZ750 F1 without a title in a dune buggy project I've been working on. Finishing up on the engine compartment I've found that I can no longer fit in the air switch valve for emission regulations. I was wondering if I could just use vacuum caps in place of the hoses that come off of the cam case. I've read that people have bought covers that replace the ports, but seeing as I have a tight budget this seems like a cheaper possible option. I was also wondering if deleting the vents for gasses to leave the cam cover could be bad for the engine because if the gasses can't escape, wouldn't that be bad?

While I remove the vacuum lines that go to the air switch valve I am also considering removing the vacuum line that runs to the fuel petcock. The current petcock I have leaks gas and I've got to replace the gas tank anyways so I was wondering if there were any negative effects of switching the current vacuum petcock to a simplified on/off petcock.

Side note: Sorry if a post thread related to this topic already existed, I couldn't find anything that seemed close enough to my current situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2023 20:22 - 07 May 2023 20:26 #884377 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Smog and vacuum line delete
There are several threads on this. Yes, the PAIR system can easily be deleted. The best way is to remove the cam cover and tap the passageways to the exhaust ports part way down, and install grub screws. The system has nothing to do with venting the camshaft area or crankcase, it feeds filtered fresh air into the exhaust ports. 
You can just cap the reed cages, but it is not a great long term solution.
A manual petcock is perfectly fine. Be sure all four vacuum ports are capped. 

If you are using the factory air filter box, the hole for the PAIR system will need to be plugged to prevent unfiltered air from getting into the carburetors.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 07 May 2023 20:26 by TexasKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.