3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets

More
08 Apr 2023 20:05 #882751 by davidthejr
3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets was created by davidthejr
Good evening all!

Wanted to stop in and give some info on something I've been working on. I have a 1982 kz550 ltd, and I was working on the carbs and noticed some of the float bowl gaskets needed to be replaced.  The only replacements I could find were either a full rebuild kit, or $18 or so per gasket.  Not feeling like spending that much on gaskets, I decided to spend almost that much on TPU filament for my 3d printer that is fuel resistant and hopefully would withstand the heat and compression of the carb.  This was about seven months ago, and i have been running gaskets made with this filament on two of my carbs since then.  Just this week I swapped the other two so all four carbs are now running with these TPU gaskets.  Also I printed a gasket for my fuel cap that i have been running for the last seven months as well. 

Anyway I figured I would share my experience and see if anyone else has done something similar!  I am also attaching some photos of the prints.  If you have any questions just let me know!

Here is a video of the material:
photos.app.goo.gl/scrQZXSRWqT6siWG8

Old vs New:

Attachment not found

Fit on the carb bowl:

Attachment not found

Installed on the carb:

Attachment not found

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2023 20:16 #883506 by davidthejr
Replied by davidthejr on topic 3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets
Not sure why the photos arnt showing up, but here are new links to them:

Old vs New:

Installed on the carb:

Fit on the carb bowl:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, Moose1800

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
21 Apr 2023 05:29 #883522 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic 3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets
My wife had a KZ550 at one time and I remember having a difficult time finding carb gaskets.  Your solution is elegant.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
21 Apr 2023 07:43 #883527 by Moose1800
Replied by Moose1800 on topic 3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets
Welcome to KZR davidthejr nice job and a quality first post. You could probably make some side cash from some members here.

• howardhb
  • Sustaining Member
  • God, I trust
More
21 Apr 2023 09:20 #883533 by howardhb
Replied by howardhb on topic 3d Printed Float Bowl Gaskets
Indeed, 3D printed float-bowl gaskets are an alternative!

On my recent 1000R "Tribute" build, I too printed the gaskets for the Mikuni BS34 carbs, and also the pilot jet caps (not many carbs have these)
I used a slightly softer material called TPE, Thermo Plastic Elastomer.
I have also printed a petcock seal for a friend and the gascap seal on my bulid.

I am in the process of designing the seals for tips of the four choke plungers, and the little "concertina" type external seals on the plunger shafts.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum!

H.

'81 GPz 550 D1
'81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/our-forum/11-projects/61...-elr-tribute?start=0
'82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
'79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!