Need Carburetor Advice

More
07 Apr 2023 10:57 #882611 by Belowbasic
Need Carburetor Advice was created by Belowbasic
Hello,
I recently bought an 83 kz750 spectre from a guy that got it in on a trade and had left it sitting for a few years. After messing with the electricals for a bit I got the bike to run, but only on the left three cylinders, the far right one does not want to fire. What I know is it has compression, about ~130, has spark when grounding the sparkplug on the engine, and the bowls of the carburetors are getting gas. It has the original Keihin carbs and I believe it has been jetted as it has a 4-1 exhaust and a 6 sigma jet kit sticker under the seat. I have taken the bowl off the carb and shot compressed air and carb cleaner through the jets (without taking them out). Took the top off and the diaphragm appears to be in good condition with no rips and I sprayed more carb cleaner and compressed air through the passages up top. Took the idle needle out and did the same with that as well. I reassembled everything along with putting on new intake boots and still am having no luck firing on that cylinder. I know that the cylinder will fire up if I spray some starting fluid through that carb but it dies as soon as the fluid is gone. It seems like ill have to completely take apart the carb but I was wondering if I could get anything thoughts/opinions if it could be anything else before I start that process. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2023 19:26 #882649 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Need Carburetor Advice
Sounds like you have properly diagnosed it. #1 cylinder fires with an alternate fuel source. That points to a clogged passage or jet, or a lean condition, air leak from a bad ORing. Adding fuel richens that cylinder and it will fire. Blowing compressed air will not fix a clogged jet/passage. The correct way to fix is to remove, break down, and clean the carbs. As a last attempt before a complete carb clean would be to pull the Jets from #1, might get lucky and find the blockage. Best though to fix them now. Dirty old leaking carbs will never tune correctly. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
08 Apr 2023 08:40 #882687 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Need Carburetor Advice
A full teardown of the carbs is time well spent.  Ungang the carbs, take everything apart, soak the hard parts in carb dip, then reassemble with new O-rings.  I have O-ring kits if you are in need.  

The only tricky part is getting the choke flaps properly installed.  The spring configuration is tricky, so take photos during the teardown.  Also, during reassembly, use red loctite on the butterfly screws, and I encourage you to make a tool to flare out the screw end after install.