Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven

More
29 Mar 2023 15:58 #882159 by DanMadBoy
Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven was created by DanMadBoy
I know that float level is meant to be measure upside down from the base of the carb to the top of the float. But why, with all carb bowls off and holding the carbs right side up, so the float bowls dangle down unevenly? Is this a problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Mar 2023 16:46 - 29 Mar 2023 16:49 #882161 by SWest
Last edit: 29 Mar 2023 16:49 by SWest.

More
29 Mar 2023 17:06 - 29 Mar 2023 17:09 #882163 by DanMadBoy
Replied by DanMadBoy on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven

Start at 5:20

rumble.com/v20315p-vm-33-clear-tube-test.html

I know youre trying to help but I asked a very simple question.
I asked, optically if is normal to see  some floats hang unevenly, one compared to the other, when you have the float bowls are  off. This video is long, involved  with lots of heavy breathing, and talks about testing float heights which, while helpful, wasnt my question.

I appreciate you posting it but it doesnt answer my specific question
Last edit: 29 Mar 2023 17:09 by DanMadBoy.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Mar 2023 18:43 #882165 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven
No, not a problem.  What counts is the position of the float when the tang just touches the end of the float valve.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
29 Mar 2023 19:05 #882166 by DanMadBoy

No, not a problem.  What counts is the position of the float when the tang just touches the end of the float valve.

Thanks so much for answering. Really appreciate it!  :-)

More
30 Mar 2023 06:46 - 31 Mar 2023 05:02 #882180 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven
Service Fuel Level measurement:  1977 KZ650-B1 FSM pdf linked in your other carb float topic >> see page 137 (pdf pg 135).
Already mentioned previously, but the fuel level in the carburetors is what's most important.
When the bowls are off, check the movement of the floats to make sure they move freely & aren't getting hung up or anything. in case there's a bent pin or bent float or something.
Last edit: 31 Mar 2023 05:02 by martin_csr.

More
02 Apr 2023 13:57 #882331 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven
Actually this is a problem. If the float arms are bent, in a way the tang needs to be bent at a extreme acute angle then it will apply sideways pressure on the float needle, possibly bypassing the spring load of the pin, and could cause an over fueling condition. Best to pull all the floats. Align the arms attaching the float (brass or plastic) at a 90° position when viewed from the side. Visualize the float side as clock face and the arm should intersect the float at either 9 O’clock or 3 O’clock respectively. Also check the float arms across for flatness. Across in this case would be from #1 toward #4 bodies. Mount the carbs as if on the bike, hang the floats and use a straight edge across the bottom of the floats to test they are all hanging equally. If a pair needs adjustment the maximum travel down tang may need to be adjusted to raise or lower the pair. If one float of a pair is off the straightness of the float arms should be trued. I always try my best to return all float arms and tangs to the flat position, and then adjust fuel service levels using the clear tube method. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
02 Apr 2023 14:14 - 02 Apr 2023 14:16 #882332 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven
In my clip I explain How one of the pins had a notch in it causing a flooding condition on one of the carbs. The last time I did them I found another one with the same problem. In other threads I explained if the tang is bent too far it would cause the needle to cock to the side preventing a good seal. Sometimes it's best to have the tang flat, adjust the arms so the level is close then bend the tang a small amount to get the levels exact. That is the only way to get them right. If the PO has been in there then all bets are off and it's time to start over even if new parts are required. 
Clear tube test method is the only way.
JMO
Steve
Last edit: 02 Apr 2023 14:16 by SWest. Reason: add text
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
02 Apr 2023 15:12 #882337 by DanMadBoy

Actually this is a problem. If the float arms are bent, in a way the tang needs to be bent at a extreme acute angle then it will apply sideways pressure on the float needle, possibly bypassing the spring load of the pin, and could cause an over fueling condition. Best to pull all the floats. Align the arms attaching the float (brass or plastic) at a 90° position when viewed from the side. Visualize the float side as clock face and the arm should intersect the float at either 9 O’clock or 3 O’clock respectively. Also check the float arms across for flatness. Across in this case would be from #1 toward #4 bodies. Mount the carbs as if on the bike, hang the floats and use a straight edge across the bottom of the floats to test they are all hanging equally. If a pair needs adjustment the maximum travel down tang may need to be adjusted to raise or lower the pair. If one float of a pair is off the straightness of the float arms should be trued. I always try my best to return all float arms and tangs to the flat position, and then adjust fuel service levels using the clear tube method. 

useful...

More
02 Apr 2023 16:42 - 02 Apr 2023 16:44 #882341 by Nessism
Last edit: 02 Apr 2023 16:44 by Nessism.
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

More
02 Apr 2023 16:54 #882342 by DanMadBoy

How far the float hangs down is controlled by this tab.  

My understanding has always been that the tang determines this. In any case, no worries. My carbs are sorted and functioning properly

More
02 Apr 2023 18:54 #882347 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Carb Floats Hang Down Uneven

How far the float hangs down is controlled by this tab.  

Correct. That’s the maximum down travel tang I referenced. Thanks for the picture. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.