Push and Pull throttle cables

• 78kawltd
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 1978 B2, 06 Heritage Softail,
More
03 Mar 2023 10:23 #881044 by 78kawltd
Replied by 78kawltd on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Hope this helps. I received the Motion Pro follow up on the two pull throttle cables:
Justin wrote:I spoke with one of the techs here, and we looked into these cables a little further. It looks like the housing and inner wire lengths were close enough that they can be used for both cables, and the elbows have the correct fittings to work with the stock throttle. The issue is that the elbows are the same size, which may make it difficult to install/adjust the free play.For installation, if using 03-0019 for pull and push cables, you may need to install one elbow down into the throttle housing as far as it will go, giving enough clearance to thread the next elbow into the throttle housing, over the top of the already installed elbow/cable. You would just need to determine how much they need to be threaded in to have the correct adjustment, and can then fine tune the adjustment at the bottom fitting, or inline adjuster. I hope this gives some better info on this cable. Thanks,  Justin MeansMotion Pro Inc.Account Manager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2023 10:41 #881046 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Happy to hear they took time to research this. The standard response is “we have never heard of the problem before”. When the end user is fully aware and looking for support. That has happened more than I can remember. To take that further I’d reply one last time and ask if they are planning to do some R&D and build a set of correct cables. Feel free to include the photos I posted. 

If your using the OEM hand control you might get lucky because as mentioned one threaded boss is longer then the other. Thread the cable into the shorter boss first, then the elbow of the second cable should swing below the other. If your using the pattern control, trial and error might be your best route. 

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
05 Mar 2023 00:24 #881124 by linuxrob
Replied by linuxrob on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Hear's mine on the Z500

1980 Z500 B2 owned from new 78260 miles
1980 Z500 B2 in bits since 1982 23000 miles
2004 GSF1200S Bandit K4
2000 GS125 ESD

More
05 Mar 2023 08:26 #881141 by Cra-z1
Replied by Cra-z1 on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
The originals may be slightly different but the Motion Pro cables are the same. You just need to install them in the proper sequence. If you cant turn the 2nd cable after installing the first reverse the sequence.

More
05 Mar 2023 09:56 #881149 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Such a great subject... 

The 82 KZ1100A2 was factory equipped with BS34 solo cable    Mikuni's. 

Upgrading to RS Flat Slide Smoothies on that bike created a duo-cable problem, and fortunately I fell upon a fairly-simple solution.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
08 Mar 2023 01:49 - 08 Mar 2023 02:17 #881237 by Gray17
Replied by Gray17 on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Well i have to say, never realised before how hard it is to fit the throttle cables, suppose you dont until you try, it also explains why mines only got the open cable and a large spring to close.
but when you look at the mechanics, i can see Warrens explanation makes perfect sense as after fitting the 1st the 2nd would indeed hit the 1st if the curves were identical, not sure how much flex is available on the curve to allow it to squeeze past, or whether screwing 1 fully home will allow sufficient entry of the 2nd but do know it doesnt take much to chew up the alluminium threads in the housing. Think personally I'd go for the different angled cables as they are probably easier to install and no issues bending them, which may cause fracture or risk damaging the housing thread.
like several others i was about to order 2 of the same, glad i didnt now.
Perhaps if someone manages it with identical 2 they could post a guide on exactly how they managed it, for all us doubting Thomas's!

ammendment, after writing the above post did a bit of research on this after looking at several cable options, push and pull on ebay, ive arrived at the conclusion there are 2 soecific types depending on
manufacturer.
The 1st type uses 2 different bend 
angles to allow them to be screwed into the housing without hitting each other as per Warrens photo.
​​​​​​1The 2nd type uses identical bend angles but has the threaded part set a different height from each other, therebly allowing them to be screwed in without hitting.
either type will work as a pair but not sure if you mix them they will so pay attention when ordering replacements.
Thought this may help others.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2023 02:17 by Gray17. Reason: More info

• 78kawltd
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 1978 B2, 06 Heritage Softail,
More
08 Mar 2023 03:32 #881238 by 78kawltd
Replied by 78kawltd on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Gray17,  send some pictures of each discovery and/or links to share .
​​​​​​What brand/manufacturer ?
And for which KZ motorcycle ??  
KZ1000, KZ 900??

More
08 Mar 2023 04:18 #881240 by Gray17
Replied by Gray17 on topic Push and Pull throttle cables
Unfortunately far too many choices to put photos up, anyone wanting to know the types can simply open ebay and put in 'Z1 throttle cable' in search title, it brings up multiple choices of both types and several manufacturers. I honestly cant say whether they will fit the Z1000 but they will if the search is correct fit Z1, Z1A, B and Z900 (KZ900).