Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 30 Dec 2022 17:44 #878356

• Dunemaster
  • Dunemaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I’m entirely new to motorcycles and carburetors. I bought an 83 KZ750 spectre and have had plans on restoring it. When I opened the float bowls I noticed that the primary jet and pilot plug are missing.
Is it just the primary jet missing or am I also missing the main nozzle? 
What are DIY or other replacements for the missing plugs?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 31 Dec 2022 05:45 #878362

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
It looks like both the main jet and Nozzle are missing.  The Nozzle for your bike is a different PN compared to the Nozzle for the E and early H bikes, and either way, they are not easy to find sometimes (look on eBay.)

BTW, you should ungang the carbs and clean the parts and carb bodies carefully, then install new O-rings during reassembly.  I have O-ring kits if you are in need.  The fuel tube and interconnect O-rings deteriorate badly on these older Keihin's, and sometimes the fuel Tee cracks too.  

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/61831...-do-a-proper-rebuild

Last edit: by Nessism.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 31 Dec 2022 09:40 #878381

• Dunemaster
  • User
So you are saying that if I was able to get the nozzle for either the E or H models that they wouldn’t work? Do you know where I could get a nozzle that would work? Everywhere I have looked they are not stocked or are not currently available.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 31 Dec 2022 10:21 #878383

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

So you are saying that if I was able to get the nozzle for either the E or H models that they wouldn’t work? Do you know where I could get a nozzle that would work? Everywhere I have looked they are not stocked or are not currently available.
I didn't say it wouldn't work.  But, I think the orifice is a slightly different size, so it would be like having a jet that was a step or two different.  Personally, I use what you can find.  There is one on eBay, so you might want to search there.

Edit: eBay item number:114688167295
This is the nozzle you need.

BTW, when looking for parts, first go to a good OEM parts fishe like on Partzilla.  Look up the part in question, and then see what other bikes the same part fit.  Take the PN and plug it into eBay.  Sometimes that works, other times no.  If the part doesn't come up based on PN, search key words associated with all the various bikes that part came on.  To find this part I searched on "Spectre carb"

Good luck...and I wasn't kidding about doing a full teardown.  Clean once, instead of three or four times like some others that are shortcutting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dunemaster

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 01 Jan 2023 18:23 #878426

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Those nozzles I found for your bike have all been sold.  Hope you are the guy that bought them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dunemaster

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 01 Jan 2023 19:59 #878430

• Dunemaster
  • User
Yeah it was, I’m missing all four so I’ll have to keep an eye out for one more. Thanks for notifying me that they were sold! I’ll also definitely make sure to do a full carb teardown and clean.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 02 Jan 2023 06:58 #878435

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
These are the O-rings you need to do a full and complete rebuild.  Size listed as thickness x ID in mm

Pilot Screw: 1.2 x 2.0
Pilot Plug: 1.5 x 2.8 or 1.5 x 3.0
Fuel Tee, Transfer Tubes: 2.0 x 5.5
Drain Screws: 1.4 x 4.0 or 1.5 x 4.0
Float Bowl: 2.0 x 67

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 14 Jan 2023 12:42 #878829

• Dunemaster
  • User
Should the main nozzle be such a tight fit that it has to be pressed in? I am not able to get it in any father this without applying force.

secondly, I just realized the main jet doesn’t have threads. The size of the hole seems right so I don’t think anyone drilled them out. All of the carbs look like this too. Does anyone know anything about this?

Im planning on making new plugs for the pilot jet soon and then seeing if the engine can start in its current state. Should I get a shop to take a look at the carbs because these don’t look like the cv34s I’ve seen in other pictures 
Attachments:

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 14 Jan 2023 14:52 #878833

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
The 1983 KZ750F carbs are simplified compared to other CV34's.  They don't use the nozzles, a primary main jet, or pilot plug.  I wonder if you have a set of those?  Are the nozzle passages drilled all the way though to the throat of the carb?  Also, Spectre carbs are painted black, and these appear to be unpainted.  You quite likely have KZ750F carbs.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...-f1/carburetor-parts

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 15 Jan 2023 09:12 #878846

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 361
Any markings on the outside of the carbs to indicate just what they are?  Not sure but think some 750 4s, not twins, came with Mkuni and some Keihin carbs,  I was not aware of the set of carbs pointed out by Nessism that appear to be more like the Mikuni BS carbs (single main jet, pilot or slow jet) than the main and secondary main used in most Keihin carbs.

Another question, in the first pic you posted there is a brass fitting in the bottom of the carb what is it, a pilot jet?
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Last edit: by gd4now.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 16 Jan 2023 20:12 #878898

• Dunemaster
  • User
The carbs are Keihins, there are markings on them saying so. I think I may have just misidentified the bike I bought. The listing had it labeled as an '82 KZ750 LTD, but when I saw it was shaft driven I thought it was a spectre because that was the only example of a shaft driven KZ750 I could find online at the time. The number on the motor starts in KZ750NE, which I think I saw somewhere else as an identification of a Spectre. The bike did turn out to be an '83, which didn't help my suspicions. It probably is an '83 KZ750F LTD.

The jet in the first picture is the pilot jet. When I opened up the float bowls for the first time the pilot jets were just lying in the bowls like that. Oddly enough I had the bike running on three cylinders (badly) with three pilot jets loose in their respective bowls. I think the massive holes were able to let enough gas into the throat to balance out the cold dense air in Minnesota right now. With the pilot jets in, the bike can't currently start.

CV34 missing nozzle and primary jet? 16 Jan 2023 20:31 #878899

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
Have you removed the pilot screws and soaked the carb bodies and all jets in carb dip like Berrymans?  Held up the pilot jets to a light and verified the orifice is open?

• Page: