1980 KZ250 without a Carb

More
21 Oct 2022 16:18 #875826 by NotaCop
1980 KZ250 without a Carb was created by NotaCop
I apologize if this has been answered before, I could find anything using the search tool.

My buddy got a 1980 KZ250 off his next door neighbor, No airbox with an aftermarket Chinese knockoff carb for  what I can tell is a Kawasaki Bayou.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3GWZG3D?psc=1&ref=p...dt_b_product_details

Now Carbs not too bad, Battery was dead, some loose connections, Spark plug was Black as all get out. Swapped plug, tightened up the wiring. New battery, Bike just cranks until it will eventually backfire. Held my hand over to manually choke and hand was immediately soaked in gasoline. Im assuming, by the plug and the hand soaking. That its way too rich.

My question is, Can I make this carb work with jetting or is it a lost cause. Or does anyone have a stock carb lying around. with the cv32 or the pw26. I appreciate the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2022 15:44 #876047 by 82KZ305Belt
Replied by 82KZ305Belt on topic 1980 KZ250 without a Carb

I apologize if this has been answered before, I could find anything using the search tool.

My buddy got a 1980 KZ250 off his next door neighbor, No airbox with an aftermarket Chinese knockoff carb for  what I can tell is a Kawasaki Bayou.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3GWZG3D?psc=1&ref=p...dt_b_product_details

Now Carbs not too bad, Battery was dead, some loose connections, Spark plug was Black as all get out. Swapped plug, tightened up the wiring. New battery, Bike just cranks until it will eventually backfire. Held my hand over to manually choke and hand was immediately soaked in gasoline. Im assuming, by the plug and the hand soaking. That its way too rich.

My question is, Can I make this carb work with jetting or is it a lost cause. Or does anyone have a stock carb lying around. with the cv32 or the pw26. I appreciate the help!

The cv32 is also on a KZ305.  Those can be found without great difficulty. 

More
26 Oct 2022 19:27 #876052 by ckahleer
Replied by ckahleer on topic 1980 KZ250 without a Carb
Check the compression. Also check valve gap. The intake valve may not be completly closing.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c