Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 03:34 #870694

• Wookie58
  • Wookie58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1772
Many years ago when I had a KH400 I used to run the middle cylinder slightly richer than the outer two (can't remember the details but i think it was 1 notch on the needle and 1 jet size bigger on the main, the plug colour was always a nice even brown across all three cylinders. Has anyone ever tried this with the inner 2 cylinders on a 4 as they run hotter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 04:08 #870696

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1021
The inner two run hotter but I've never thought about different jetting.  In thinking about it I can't see any reason to add more gas to them.  Would it not just richen the mixture?  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 04:14 #870697

• Wookie58
Richer runs cooler - leaner runs hotter so in theory it helps to even the cylinder temperatures

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 07:10 #870708

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
ZRX1200 came from the factory with slightly richer jetting on 2 & 3.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 15:02 #870738

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
Ok, but I'm not sure why even temperature is desirable.  The center two cylinders should naturally be hotter because they have less air flow cooling available to them.  I would think the correct fuel/air mixture would be more important.  

I found it interesting that you had nice plug colour across the three cylinders despite running a richer mix on the center one.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 15:19 #870743

• Wookie58
When it was running hotter on the centre cylinder the plug was lighter than the outer two, it's interesting that KHI went down the same route with the ZRX. Ultimately I just threw it out there as a talking point to see what other people's views where, I'm certainly not advising people to go down this route but it is "food for thought" 

Random jetting question ? 20 Jul 2022 16:54 #870752

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
ZR7 & ZR7S have different carb needles in #2&3 than 1&4.
Not sure what the change is off hand but must have a similar effect, making 2&3 a little richer.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Random jetting question ? 21 Jul 2022 04:10 #870771

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

When it was running hotter on the centre cylinder the plug was lighter than the outer two, it's interesting that KHI went down the same route with the ZRX. Ultimately I just threw it out there as a talking point to see what other people's views where, I'm certainly not advising people to go down this route but it is "food for thought" 
That's exactly how I took it.  I'm not being argumentive.  Just trying to understand the issue from an engineering point of view.

Random jetting question ? 21 Jul 2022 07:11 #870776

• Wookie58

That's exactly how I took it.  I'm not being argumentive.  Just trying to understand the issue from an engineering point of view.
HRM - my response wasn't intended to be defensive, the "written word" can be easily misinterpreted at times - Ultimately I'm short, fat and ginger, it would be too stressful for me to sensitive 

Random jetting question ? 21 Jul 2022 07:34 #870777

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
Cooling the center cylinder on the triples was always problematic and I reckon the additional lubrication was also needed there. However, I have no idea why Kawasaki would see a need to do so on a modern water cooled engine. By the way, the ZRX1100 did not have this feature.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Random jetting question ? 21 Jul 2022 07:59 #870779

• Wookie58

Cooling the center cylinder on the triples was always problematic and I reckon the additional lubrication was also needed there. However, I have no idea why Kawasaki would see a need to do so on a modern water cooled engine. By the way, the ZRX1100 did not have this feature.

Agreed, it's interesting looking at rstnick's post that Kawasaki seem to have dablled with this on several models. You are right in so much as I don't see the need on a water cooled motor as all cylinders share the water jacket so should theoretically be at a similar temperature

Random jetting question ? 21 Jul 2022 13:33 #870793

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member

HRM - my response wasn't intended to be defensive, the "written word" can be easily misinterpreted at times - Ultimately I'm short, fat and ginger, it would be too stressful for me to sensitive 
It's all good!  So.....a tinge of the ginge!  My son is similarly infected!  As for me...I've lost my ginge.  Lost all my hair to be more precise.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.
  • Page: