Airbox Delete

More
11 Jul 2022 20:47 #870221 by KZLIMITED
Airbox Delete was created by KZLIMITED
I am part of a Facebook kz page. I mention this and I get a bunch of opinions. I am deleting my airbox for pods and a dropseat(bobber), I am going to do this. I need advice on getting it to run well when I do. Some say rejet it. One guy says scarp the cv carbs for flatslides. Also I’ve heard about a PowerJet mod for carbs.  People have been doing this for years I’m sure. People I talk to proclaim it’s impossible to get em to run right. Can you guys please sound off with your knowledge? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
12 Jul 2022 06:23 #870233 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Airbox Delete

...People I talk to proclaim it’s impossible to get em to run right. Can you guys please sound off with your knowledge? 

Your people are correct!
Go with their advice.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

More
12 Jul 2022 15:11 #870252 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Airbox Delete
CV's are probably the worst carbs to use with pods because they work off vacuum , so any modification to the airflow has a direct effect on the performance of the carbs, slide carbs are easier but still fiddly. In saying that, I will be running "pods" on my GPZ750 with 34mm BS34 CV carbs but, I have bigger cams,a big bore kit, higher compression  and a stage 3 jet kit designed to use with less restrictive pods, my pods were expensive and have velocity stacks and work far better than what you're referring to as pods, or bolt on air filters without stacks.
I'm no genius with carbs , I'm no amateur either,  but  I have an expert to fall back on if i need any help and i'll also be putting my bike on a dyno to help with the tune up.... 
Unless you are reasonably versed in the workings of carburettors, and how to set them up and adjust them, or know someone that has this experience, you are opening up a can of worms that will drive you mad...  Or you can just put pods on because they "look good' and and ride it round running like sh1t...

More
12 Jul 2022 16:00 #870259 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Airbox Delete
Buy quality pods like K&N's, not junky Emgo crap that cost 1/3 as much.  Then install a Dynojet brand jet kit.  And make sure the exhaust has a baffle of some sort.  Do that and your CV carbs will run fine.