Cleaning the carb valves

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Jul 2022 17:18 - 03 Jul 2022 17:20 #869826 by McThing
Cleaning the carb valves was created by McThing
Does anybody have a safe method for cleaning carb valves?

I just finally got to pulling the carbs off my ‘83 Spectre. They were the last component I’m planning to remove this season and upon inspection I noticed the valves seemed a little sticky. I took the caps off and pulled them out to find that they have a sort of matte coating on them that is sticky and roughed up in some places. It comes off on in a black dust on my thumbnail if I scrape it. Beneath it there looks to be a smooth shinier black surface.

Having never touch a carb before, I want to proceed with the utmost caution. I know carb cleaner isn’t safe around rubber and so I don’t think I want to get it anywhere near these.

Has anyone else seen this type of buildup before? My real fear is that what I’m seeing is a delamination of a necessary coating on the valves and that they are shot and not inexpensive to replace.

I’ll add photos below.

All the best,
Brion

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA
Last edit: 03 Jul 2022 17:20 by McThing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2022 17:24 #869827 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Cleaning the carb valves
What I do is spray carb cleaner on a rag and rub down the slides to remove the grunge.  It's good to keep the carb spray off the diaphragms, but a little incidental contact won't hurt anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.