Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuel Leak 25 May 2022 04:26 #867663

• Zeke22
  • Zeke22's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all and Good Morning! I recently purchased my first bike, 1981 KZ 440LTD, a barn find with 6k miles on it in pretty good shape just needs some TLC. I got it back to my shop and replaced the battery and spark plugs to get the bike back up and running. I then proceeded to peel off the carbs sooner than I should'veĀ  in order to clean and rebuild them. I guess I didn't fubar the rebuild as bad as I could've considering they are back on the bike and she starts and runs. However, I am left with two concerning leaks... one leak is from the carb overflow on the kickstand side and the other leak is located along the exhaust on the other side. Photos of the bike and overflow bowl leak attached. Thank you for any help or responses in advance! Ill post the exhaust leak when I can get back to the bike after work.

- Zeke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuel Leak 25 May 2022 06:49 #867670

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
The most common causes are

- improper fuel level in the carbs. The clear tube method is the correct way to insure proper level.

- failed float valve and likely a failing petcock. Clean and polish the valve seats and carefully inspect the valve tips. The internal surface of the petcock lever should be lightly polished and all new seals installed.

- if those carbs have a brass overflow tube pressed into the bowls, they can crack near the point where the tube and bowl join. Solder to fill the cracks, or replace the tubes.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: