2nd carb barfing fuel

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2022 18:08 #865450 by xstreamcanadian
2nd carb barfing fuel was created by xstreamcanadian
The 2nd carb over from the choke (left side) seems to be drooling fuel. I had these carbs totally rebuilt from the guy in Texas, but they have sat around a bunch of years before seeing any fuel. 

It seems to run pretty well, but obviously gas coming out of the pod isn't ideal. Its not a tonne but its present. 

Also, does it matter which port I take for the vacuum peacock? I have a choice of two
it's a 78 kz650, rejetted(by rebuild dude) , pods, 4 into 1. 

It's very very close to being on the road. First road ride today, seat less and no back brake but it was awesome. (Driveway tour not road) hasn't seen pavement since 1986. 

It starts and runs and idles well BTW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2022 18:43 #865451 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic 2nd carb barfing fuel
Have you checked the fuel level in the carbs?

Could be a dirty or failed float valve and failed petcock.

It does not matter which carb the petcock line goes to. The other vacuum ports should be capped.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: xstreamcanadian

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2022 20:06 #865457 by xstreamcanadian
Replied by xstreamcanadian on topic 2nd carb barfing fuel
Petcock is new and seems to work well. How would I check fuel level in carbs? 

More
14 Apr 2022 21:06 #865459 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 2nd carb barfing fuel

How would I check fuel level in carbs? 

The procedure is in the factory Kawasaki service manual, which is available for free download here in the Articles storage area.

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2022 07:41 #865480 by xstreamcanadian
i was reading that the #2 will overflow if the diaphragm in the petcock is bad,on bikes with the accelerator pump, but mine does not have the pump. I rebuilt the old petcock, but now im wondering if i put it back together wrong or something. It doesnt have an 'Off' it has on, prime and reserve. Which I found odd. I have three kzs, two in parts, so maybe i used the wrong one? 

More
15 Apr 2022 07:52 - 15 Apr 2022 07:53 #865484 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 2nd carb barfing fuel
The vacuum petcocks can leak gas down the vacuum tube into carb #2.
Happened to me, flooding it.
Now my petcock wasn't new, and the diahpram was leaking.
Nothing to do with the accelerator pump (my model doesn't have accel pump).

No OFF position on the vacuum petcocks.

I bought a new petcock from Z1Enterprises, made for a Suzuki, with 44mm spacing.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Last edit: 15 Apr 2022 07:53 by rstnick.

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Apr 2022 08:45 #865488 by xstreamcanadian
I bought one as well, it came with an adapter plate and that part fits, but the petcock itself sits into the elongated oval just enough to need it to be reamed out round in the middle. So i didnt use it. I go the diaphragm rebuild kit,it doesnt leak overnight.... Ill try it again and see what happens. I stupidly left it on prime the first night i got it running and came back to a garage floor covered in fuel. DOH! Im scouring ebay etc right now. My bike is an SR, and I hate that tank, so I used a tank from my 77 kz650. So its that kind if that makes sense. 

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
15 Apr 2022 10:41 #865501 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic 2nd carb barfing fuel
OK I assume you have the stock vm24ss carbs on the bike.  You posted that you have 2 ports to connect the vacuum petcock to.  There should be 2 ports on carb #2 (left to right as you sit on the bike) the one that is on the engine side of the carb is the one that should be connected to the petcock to provide vacuum to the petcock, The other port located closer to the intake side of the carb provides a vent for the fuel bowl.  

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• xstreamcanadian
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Apr 2022 08:29 #865665 by xstreamcanadian
Im changing out the petcock today, with a more simple on/off/res non vacuum one. I used fuel friendly Aisin sealer on the threads of the 3/8 npt petcock and also the mounting bolts. I dont want a shop full of gas again. Thanks for the insight. I rebuilt the entire old vacuum one so I either messed that up or ...? looking forward to a non gas soaked test ride. I found that the #1 and #2 were just pouring gas after I shut the engine off. Especially on the side stand. Pulling the fuel line off the carb assembly it was just free flowing like crazy, on all three settings. 

cheers