60A RE09 Carbs??

• Dr. Frankenstein
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Feb 2022 12:04 - 28 Feb 2022 12:05 #863009 by Dr. Frankenstein
60A RE09 Carbs?? was created by Dr. Frankenstein
I'm trying to find the right jets for the carb on this '79 KZ400H I have; the only numbers I can find on the carb body are 60A RE09 - is this the same as the VB32, or CV32? I'm confused as to which carb I have, and which jets are appropriate for it. Did somebody switch out the carbs on this bike?

The shop manual lists the appropriate jets as 
Jet Needle: 003303
Main Jet / Primary as #70
Main Jet/ Secondary as #90
Air Jet Pilot Jet/ #115
Air Jet: Primary/Main #150
Air Jet: Secondary Main #60
Pilot Jet: #35

There is also no listing for the carb slide diaphragm size or part number, which mine need to be replaced; it seems like there's a big 'blank spot' of information when it comes to finding the right parts for this bike/carb. There's plenty of info for the KZ400 up to 1977, then everything seems to skip over 1977 - 1980 - so I'm assuming there's a lot of parts identified for the earlier models and the later models which may fit the 1977 -1980 models, but nothing specific for the 1977-1980 models...are these all interchangeable?  

This Kawasaki parts page also lists a whole bunch of different jet sizes for the Secondary Main Jet  - what difference will these sizes make, if any?
Owner Center (kawasaki.com)

I've got the jets out of the bike's carb but am having a devil of a time trying to find the numbers, mostly due to a lot of crud hiding these lightly-stamped jet numbers; any info you guys might have is greatly appreciated! 

Last edit: 28 Feb 2022 12:05 by Dr. Frankenstein.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
28 Feb 2022 14:43 #863010 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic 60A RE09 Carbs??
If you do not have it here is a link for the supplement for the 79 H model here  www.kz400.com/Workshop%20manual%20bilder/400H1%20Supplement.pdf

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
02 Mar 2022 11:38 #863077 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic 60A RE09 Carbs??
To the best of my understanding the numbers you posted (60A RE09 though have seen it with a V in front) indicate a Keihin VB 32 carb.  In the link to the H model supplement I posted above on page 15 there are tables showing the carb internals on B and C models and a table on the H model.  The only differences I see are as follows:jet needle numbers are different between the B&C=003001 models and the H models=003002, the size of the secondary main jet (B&C=90 and H=80) and the primary main air jet (B&C=120 and the H=150).

I do not remember having worked on like carbs, but my memory is not what it once was, but you may not need new brass (jets) a good cleaning may be all they need. I tend to reuse the brass (jets) unless they are damaged and replace any rubber items like o-rings and gaskets.  As to jet marking it is my understand that Keihin jets have a K-star mark and number or letter/number on them.  I may have a good pic of the K-star mark somewhere, but not sure where. But I think jetrus.com does have a small pic of it.As to the needed diaphragms I would check with  jbmindustries.com/index.html

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT