bs 34 carb over haul

More
26 Dec 2021 17:53 - 26 Dec 2021 17:56 #859648 by rich67
bs 34 carb over haul was created by rich67
I overhauled  my carbs for the 83elr , stripping and painting carbs suck , but i think they came out good , 
Last edit: 26 Dec 2021 17:56 by rich67.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, calum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2021 17:58 #859650 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic bs 34 carb over haul
What did you paint them with ?  I'm about to do my BS34's, they look great...

More
26 Dec 2021 18:32 #859651 by rich67
Replied by rich67 on topic bs 34 carb over haul
Eastwood K2  ceramic chassis  black satin aerosol has a nice sheen    . I takes 4 cans , 2 primer and 2 black satin because its has very intricate spaces . the paint is also expensive 4 cans cost me just over $100.00 . I wanted a good bond so i completely disassembled and  blasted all parts and primed and painted . The balance screws are black oxide ( will do them again for better finish ) . The hardware is very expensive to replace 175.00 for all the screws if you buy from kawasaki so i bought the hard ware from ebay , 20.00 for all screws black zinc coated with plain and lock washers on screw, very affordable instead of kawasaki . The choke boots are 13.00 per boot . Thats crazy . as far as the paint it might be better to buy in a pint or qt and use an airbrush . 

More
26 Dec 2021 19:58 #859654 by 750 R1
I'm going for an old school look with my bike so I might just clean the carbs back to bare alloy and clear coat them. I hate stripping paint of motorcycle carbs, I've only recently done the carbs on my sons KZ650 and the genius that painted them used epoxy primer and 2 pack paint, what a nightmare..!

More
26 Dec 2021 20:14 #859655 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic bs 34 carb over haul
These carbs look amazing.  Nice work.

I've stripped black Mikuni BS CV carbs and that was an easy job.

Did a couple sets of black Keihin Spectre carbs and those were a nightmare.  

More
27 Dec 2021 12:07 #859672 by blipco
Replied by blipco on topic bs 34 carb over haul
Those look beautiful and well worth the effort. It's a shame you have to install them where they can barely be seen. 

"Swim against the current, even a dead fish can go with the flow"-somebody (I forget Who)

More
27 Dec 2021 13:44 - 28 Dec 2021 12:15 #859677 by rich67
Replied by rich67 on topic bs 34 carb over haul
BLIPCO that is what i thought to , to bad they are hidden . 

Mick , I understand the trouble stripping the K2 . As i had to do them twice . First time I had them prep'ed and primed at that time i had not ordered the paint yet. I had a friend that was doing some refinishing on his bike and he had asked me about the satin K2 and he said he bought 2 cans . About a month passed and he said he was not  going to use the paint and he would trade me the paint since i was restoring his rz 350 wheels  . So instead of ordering the paint he said he would give the 2 cans to me for a labor trade and 100 bucks  . I asked him if it  was the correct paint and he assured me he had ordered what i told him to order . So he gave me the 2 cans and I sprayed every thing . At the end of spraying I looked at the carbs and remember saying to myself man they look high gloss . At that point I looked at the cans and found in small letters High Gloss , I almost Shit my self , Way TO GLOSSY and looked like crap . , It took 3 to 4 WEEKS  to re strip the carb's , re prime and plug and mask and repaint them , At one point I thought I was going to have to find another set I almost threw them across the shop I was so PISSED. That K2 paint after drying was so hard to remove on carbs  , I had to used old aircraft stripper and re blast and struggled even with that , The only reason I sprayed them 2 K is so they would last for the rest of my life , That paint is hard as nails . I learned a lesson ( check the paint before spraying no matter what !!!!)
Last edit: 28 Dec 2021 12:15 by rich67.

More
27 Dec 2021 14:09 #859682 by 750 R1
Same here, I had to paint strip the VM24's twice, that was stripped down and fully submerged in stripper, and with the strongest industrial stripper I could buy, its really good stuff, then apply more stripper manually into all the crevices repeatedly, then finally blast the damn things, then I spent hours making sure all the grit was out, thankfully they came out real good in the end but, what a job  !!!!