• Page:

TOPIC:

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 20 Jul 2021 15:29 #852147

• SteveKing84
  • SteveKing84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Been thinking of upgrading my carbs to the dual VM30s put out by Speed Moto.  I've been having a lot of trouble with my carbs, and it seems like that's normal for 440/400 owners with these CV carbs.  Anyone here do the dual VM30 upgrade?  Will the pods fit behind the two side plates when the airbox is removed - ie will they remain hidden and look stock?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 20 Jul 2021 16:31 #852153

• loudhvx
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1604
I used the knockoff Chinese VM-30 carbs.

I posted some details in this thread. 
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/611489-due...00-s?start=36#812179

With very little jetting I was able to ride it.  The project has been sitting dormant since covid etc.  But I hope to get back to jetting it some time not too far in the future.  

I'm pretty sure the side covers would fit, but it certainly won't look stock without the airbox.  The airbox is very visible, normally, so it will be obvious it is missing.

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 20 Jul 2021 16:33 #852155

• SteveKing84
  • Away
  • User

I'm pretty sure the side covers would fit, but it certainly won't look stock without the airbox.  The airbox is very visible, normally, so it will be obvious it is missing.

Any chance the airbox can be modified to fit the pods through it?

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 20 Jul 2021 16:37 #852157

• loudhvx
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1604

Probably, but you would be destroying the airbox...carving the holes bigger to accept the pod filters.  It would probably easier to just actually use the airbox and makeshift some radiator hose to connect the airbox to the carbs.  A buddy of mine did that to connect stock carbs to the stock airbox and it worked/looked great.

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 20 Jul 2021 17:33 #852164

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 161

Yup. The 440 airbox is this massive thing that takes up a lot of space between the frame spars. It's also a snug fit: removing it was an enormous PITA. I'll probably add some cosmetic panels to hide the battery box and electrics. I haven't decided whether to keep the existing side covers and I'm not a fan of the "empty midsection" look.

I have a set of VM30s for the 440 project, but those will be getting velocity stacks rather than pods. They will have a layer of UNI filter material over the screens inside the stacks so the engine won't be breathing unfiltered air, but if you look at them from the side they will appear to plain old stacks.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Dual VM30s on a KZ440. Anyone done it yet? 21 Jul 2021 19:52 #852248

• SteveKing84
  • Away
  • User

Probably, but you would be destroying the airbox...carving the holes bigger to accept the pod filters.  It would probably easier to just actually use the airbox and makeshift some radiator hose to connect the airbox to the carbs.  A buddy of mine did that to connect stock carbs to the stock airbox and it worked/looked great.

stock looks clean.  If I can order a “new” box on eBay, I’ve got no qualms about destroying it.

• Page: