Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 04 Jul 2021 08:09 #851236

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
It takes quite a while for the gasoline to "varnish".  The fuel might go bad in a few weeks (not varnish), but the motorcycle should still start & run if it isn't too old.  Before trying to start, be sure to prime the carburetors beforehand using the petcock selector, in case the fuel level in the carb bowls is low for whatever reason, such as evaporation.  The engine may be a little hard starting but it should start; it may run poorly at first but should improve as the fuel from the tank refills the carb bowls.  All of this has been my experience, but my motorcycle is in a good state of tune & normally starts the second I touch the starter button. so old fuel doesn't cause a problem.  If your motorcycle is already hard starting, then dank fuel could be troublesome.

For storage I would drain all of the old fuel from the carburetors & fuel tank, then refill with fresh fuel.  I would to prime the carburetors to fill them with fuel.  You could also add a fuel stabilizer, but I don't use that stuff as we can have good riding weather year round.

Fuel freshness is dependent upon time, temperature & quantity.  Fresh fuel burns better than older fuel.
Higher temps cause fuel to go bad sooner than cooler temps. in summer you have to be aware of that. Winter time isn't as big of a problem.
Large quantities of fuel last longer than smaller amounts.  so the gasoline in the carburetors can go bad before the fuel in the tank.  Sometimes I'll drain the carbs, then prime to refill. then burn the old carb fuel in the lawnmower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 04 Jul 2021 09:52 #851238

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 376

I fill the bikes with non ethanol gas in the winter and start them at least once per month when not riding regularly. I've been bitten by the glowing, green gas so I am extremely careful with my vehicle fuel.  

Never seen that, what causes it?

No idea. This is from my Triumph GT6 after sitting for a few months. The same thing happened to my MX bike when it was parked for six months due to surgery. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Last edit: by ThatGPzGuy.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 05 Jul 2021 07:12 #851318

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I always noticed that after a day or two it would start and idle perfect then after 4 or 5 days be a little less so and a week or two it would be a little rougher with a mild back fire or two till it cleaned out.

A month twice over the years have gummed em up. Was like a oven though in the shed so that adds to the problem I.m sure. I like Ness's idea of adding Stable for that reason. And when I drain the carbs for the winter I spray a little carb cleaner through the drain plug just to get most of the junk that may have ended up in the bottom there.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 05 Jul 2021 07:56 #851321

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
As long as we are tossing out opinions

There is also a video from Jay Leno's Garage where he concludes that ethanol-free fuel is the only solution.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 05 Jul 2021 08:05 #851324

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
Since I've started using Stabil in the fuel, for both my bikes and garage gas can feeding my lawnmower etc, I've yet to have any fueling issues with my gasoline driven equipment.  Call me SOLD!  Prior to that my bike pilot jets used to plug up at about the four month mark using crappy California gasoline.  Very frustrating for someone with more than one bike, some of which sat for longer than should be the case.  As a bonus, Stabil helps protect the inside of the gas tank too and eliminates corrosion.  

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 05 Jul 2021 08:38 #851328

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
I have seen several videos like this, claiming it is pretty easy to remove the ethanol.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 09 Jul 2021 12:56 #851515

• just wont start
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, i have a couple of 2 strokes that i restored five years ago or so, after talking to a stall holder at a auto jumble he persuaded me to try a fuel stabilising  tablets that you just drop into the tank and forget about, they were developed in the second world war for the spitfires and like to preserve the fuel. about two months ago i thought i should remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning out, i shouldnt of bothered as upon strip down they were as clean as when i put them together all those years ago !
As i can remember they were about ten pounds each and are supposed to last at least five years and make the fuel burn slightly cooler. will be buying a couple more for my newer projects as i was that impressed !

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 09 Jul 2021 15:42 #851521

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1456

I have seen several videos like this, claiming it is pretty easy to remove the ethanol.

Yes! it is that simple to remove the ethanol.
You just have to watch the octane drop too and compensate for that.
Whatever you do though, especially if running these bikes regularly is that it's going to be either expensive or inconvenient to feed them the correct fuel in the future.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 09 Jul 2021 21:51 #851531

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

Since I've started using Stabil in the fuel, for both my bikes and garage gas can feeding my lawnmower etc, I've yet to have any fueling issues with my gasoline driven equipment.  Call me SOLD!  Prior to that my bike pilot jets used to plug up at about the four month mark using crappy California gasoline.  Very frustrating for someone with more than one bike, some of which sat for longer than should be the case.  As a bonus, Stabil helps protect the inside of the gas tank too and eliminates corrosion.  

I'm buggered if I know why no one else commented on this ED, Stabil is widely used  in Australia due to our 24/7, 365 use of boats , we have the highest recreational use of boats in the world , and Stabil stops the fuel from "going off" due to sitting in dormant fuel tanks. We don't use it much in bikes here as we ride year round, but If I had numerous bikes in my shop, and didn't ride them all the time,  they'd all have Stabil in them....  And I NEVER use ethanol fuel, we have a high humidity environment and ethanol fuel absorbs moisture...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 10 Jul 2021 08:21 #851543

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56
On a related note...

I've started using the ethanol-free gasoline from the station down the road.  I added 2 gallons a month ago, and 1.5 gallons last week (to an existing tank of ethanol blend fuel).  This morning I went out on a ride and the carbs were spilling fuel out of the intake. 
I believe that the dilution/elimination of the ethanol from my fuel system caused the rubber on my float seals to shrink, allowing the carbs to overflow.  That's the only thing I can think of as it looked like fuel was spilling out of all 4 carb mouths and the fuel blend is the only thing that's changed since I rode it last.

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 10 Jul 2021 09:12 #851545

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671

On a related note...

I've started using the ethanol-free gasoline from the station down the road.  I added 2 gallons a month ago, and 1.5 gallons last week (to an existing tank of ethanol blend fuel).  This morning I went out on a ride and the carbs were spilling fuel out of the intake. 
I believe that the dilution/elimination of the ethanol from my fuel system caused the rubber on my float seals to shrink, allowing the carbs to overflow.  That's the only thing I can think of as it looked like fuel was spilling out of all 4 carb mouths and the fuel blend is the only thing that's changed since I rode it last.

I don't think the change in fuel is the issue.  The rubber parts in the fuel system are nitrile and the effect on them won't differ much between pure gasoline vs. gasoline with ethanol.  

Storage, preventing old gas from messing up carbs? 10 Jul 2021 10:02 #851547

• Move0ver
  • User
  • Thank you received: 56

On a related note...

I don't think the change in fuel is the issue.  The rubber parts in the fuel system are nitrile and the effect on them won't differ much between pure gasoline vs. gasoline with ethanol.  

I had that thought as well, but it's the only thing that's changed since my last ride.  Obviously a tear down is in order.

• Page: