Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals

More
06 May 2021 09:01 - 06 May 2021 09:32 #848089 by M1zore
Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals was created by M1zore
Good morning everyone.
I have a question for all the carb gurus on here.
Over the past couple days I've noticed my idle hanging more and more, indicating to me an air leak. So, I took the new intake boots from my other KZ 750 project and put them on because my old ones were pretty cracked. 
The problem didn't go away and it wasn't easily tracked down with wd-40. Mind you I have pods on, so starting fluid anywhere near the carbs will raise the idle. I tried syncing them and it didn't help at all. 
I swapped the carb rack with my other kz project and it ran perfect as soon as I put them on (and swapped jets.)
So I've concluded I've got a throttle shaft leak, somewhere. Not exactly sure where. 

I have the carbs disassembled for a good cleaning and I only have 2 felt throttle shaft seals, from the whole rack. How many should I have, and what thickness of felt would I use to make new seals, if I chose to? 
I've replaced V seals before and am half tempted to use some on the kehein but I see a lot of negative talk about replacing the felts. My 2 felt seals are still in alright condition but I'd rather throw in some seals with some silicone lube and call it a day. I know orings can work and that some people have used them for a long time, but they can also cause issues and are prone to failing quicker in the future. I can't imagine out of 4 shafts there's only 2 seals normally. I know two ends are plugged/capped but shouldnt there be other seals? 

Thanks for any reply ahead of time. 
Everyone posts on the site been a big help getting my old bikes up and running. 
edit: the felt is about 2mm thick so I'm sure ai could make some more of them.. 

1981 KZ750H2 LTD, 1981 KZ750H2 LTD full vetter touring
Last edit: 06 May 2021 09:32 by M1zore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2021 10:23 #848091 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
Thoes felt donuts are to block dust.  They are not vacuum seals.  They sit down in a small recess around the shaft.  Can't recall all details but seem to think it's one felt per carb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: M1zore

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
06 May 2021 10:24 - 06 May 2021 10:29 #848092 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
You should soak the felt o-rings with bearing grease. Grease seals better and is more durable than silicon oil.

If you need felt or rubber seals for your throttle shafts:

vergaser.saarbike.de/vergaser/et-oem-ver.../filz-dichtringe.php

Keihin & Mikuni rubber replacement for the felt seals: 8,0x12,5x2,5 (ID x OD x Thickness in mm)

vergaser.saarbike.de/vergaser/et-oem-ver...elklappenwelle07.php

Last edit: 06 May 2021 10:29 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mopguy, M1zore

More
07 May 2021 06:00 - 07 May 2021 07:06 #848142 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
There are only two felt washers on the CV34's. One under each of the rubber seals on the inside of throttle shafts 2 & 3. I think got new ones here and they have been fine:  motorcycleproject.com/parts/felt_seals.html
Last edit: 07 May 2021 07:06 by calum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, M1zore

• FaultedGeologist
  • User
  • The truly educated never graduate...
More
07 May 2021 06:55 #848144 by FaultedGeologist
Replied by FaultedGeologist on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
How about some fat wool yarn for an after completed fix? Fire resistant naturally, tie another on if it wears without disassembly... asking for myself.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
FSMaunual: kz.bike-night.com/media/GPz750-full.pdf
Stock except for:
New chain and sprocket (530?).
Dynatek Ignition
Manual tensioner on the way.

Buy JIS screwdrivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: M1zore

More
07 May 2021 22:04 - 07 May 2021 22:06 #848199 by M1zore
Replied by M1zore on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals

How about some fat wool yarn for an after completed fix? Fire resistant naturally, tie another on if it wears without disassembly... asking for myself.

I would if I didn't want to break them down again 

It's hard to imagine that a nylon washer and a metal washer at the end of the throttle shaft would be air tight. There's even space for a v-seal underneath. But, if it worked for 35 years or so, I can't argue with it... the engineers know better than I.
I may try my hand at some aftermarket seals just to give it a shot. I'll reoil the felts if that doesn't work. 
I was going to just punch some new felts from some 2mm sheets. 
If the felts are not the offender, I'm not sure what to do exactly.
If it was user error on pilot adjustments and vacuum syncing then I'll have another shot once they're back together.
Thank for the replies everyone 
This forum has been a huge help in 

Last edit: 07 May 2021 22:06 by M1zore.

More
08 May 2021 08:50 #848210 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
Do they look like this? If so, your local band instrument repair shop may have what you need. They are called valve felts, and are used on piston valve instruments like trumpets, euphoniums and tubas. They come in both woven and pressed felt. The pressed ones will be firmer and more air tight, They are pitifully cheap. Be sure to take an old one with you to match the size.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: FaultedGeologist, M1zore

More
08 May 2021 22:57 #848240 by M1zore
Replied by M1zore on topic Kehein cv34 - Throttle Shaft Seals
They do somewhat resemble them. Felt itself is quite cheap. It just cost a little to buy decent punch set.