• Page:

TOPIC:

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 30 Dec 2020 20:32 #840888

• z1kzonly
  • z1kzonly's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Question to be sure? 2 feet / 24" is enough length to complete the 2 gas lines for stock 28mm Z1 carbs?
I am going to buy some, it's sold by the foot. Old brain can't recall? I'm thinking 18"
Thanks in advance. Pretty close to OEM?
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 31 Dec 2020 05:10 #840899

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I can't remember if I buy 1/4 or 5/16 inch. I generally make the line to the left side a bit shorter than the right side. 18 inches would probably do the job but why not buy 24 inches? It won't break the bank will it?

Edited to add that I checked one of my Z1B's this morning and found that I use the longer hose on the left side despite it being closer to the petcock. (left from rider seated position) The reason is because I put a large u-turn in the hose to prevent kinking before attaching to the petcock.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 01 Jan 2021 07:56 #840961

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Hi HRM thanks. I am buying the 24" It's sold by the foot! Up to 3' length. Just thinking I only need 14"-16"
I'm trying to duplicate OEM line to add to a set of early 28's I am going to sell one of these ?? month's / year's? :laugh:
I already have some oem drain hose and new spring clamps
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 01 Jan 2021 09:17 #840967

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
I've looked for drain line everywhere and couldn't find it until I went to PMC.

When you say early carbs are you talking ribless?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 01 Jan 2021 16:35 #840996

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
Not Rib less. I wish though. There have been a few sets sitting on eBay for a while. I have the second edition # 1470.
Same ones I was writing about last year when I made those .025"stainless balance washers.
Brazed choke rod. Been sitting in a corner of bench for 1 yr.! I have a lot of projects! :laugh: :laugh:
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 01 Jan 2021 18:31 #841005

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
Those parts look amazing! Did you do the zinc plating? I've never worked on them....only the later Z1B version. Do the slides have a 2 mm cutaway?

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 01 Jan 2021 20:17 #841010

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
I had the zinc plating done at a chrome shop. They are the 2.5 slides. Back in the early days we would turn .025" off bottom of slide and lower the C clip all the way down. These early carbs always sucked, cold blooded. That's why the factory used different sets every year. Check ebay! Not to pick on the guy selling early sets for $1,000. But he bead blasts his brass and steel parts like the idle thumb screw and leaves them brass? Without redoing the plating on them?
Starts everytime!

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 02 Jan 2021 05:41 #841021

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Z1 You "might" be leary of that fuel line. I know where you got it from and have had some myself from you know who. It splits at the fittings and i doubt it's really fuel rated, may i say it shares that "chinese rubber syndrome", and i think you know what that means. I know the original line at that ID vs OD is tough to find though. I use the Honda 95001-xxxxx-xx fuel line. I know you won't be the end user but.. The last set of the ribless went out just before the world changed. I have several sets of those 28's already done and have thought about putting them on the bay but prices have dropped so dramatically and fees seem to of went up. Just not that hungry to "give away" all that hard work involved, i'm sure You know

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 02 Jan 2021 07:58 #841029

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I have used a number of different fuel lines on my 1977 KZ650 over the past 43+ years. The very best I have found is the Goodyear 5/16" Fuel Hose SAE 30R7 Part # 65123. I installed it 8 years ago and it is still working perfectly with zero problems. Prior to using it I tried Gates Barricade and found that it really sucks! It has an inner sleeve that rolls up and blocks the fuel flow quite a bit. Is the Goodyear fuel line the exact same dimensions as the original? I don't know, but I do know that it works really well. Ed

www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/2012pdfs/...wnloads/page0031.pdf
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 02 Jan 2021 11:32 #841045

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member

asphalt900 wrote: Z1 You "might" be leary of that fuel line. I know where you got it from and have had some myself from you know who. It splits at the fittings and i doubt it's really fuel rated, may i say it! YES! I was not thinking that way! I was just trying to get the OEM look. I was just drawn by the price Shipped! I have plenty of access to any Industrial type hose, I have used ferry hydraulics for years ordering items for work yrs. ago That's were I found the overflow tube. neoprene / chemical.
Great wake up call! I'll leave the gas line to whoever or if? Buys them. When they are assembled of course!
Also! I am not going to set the floats at all with any type of liquids? Yrs. ago I took them apart, I marked each one's position, I did not do anything to them except a simple soapy wash. Plus with shipping nowadays! As to contaminate any shipment! They will smell gas in detector machines! Oh No! put DOT placard "1993" on it! That's Flammable liquid! / Or International????? As I'll offer these carbs to the World.
Crazy International Shipping Laws! You have to drain acid out of a old style lead acid battery! You have to drain brake master cylinders! To ship in overseas containers! Sorry for the tangent! My medication must have kicked in from NYS. But was taking a break from some bead blasting. I'm a fan of glass bead.
Thanks!

Starts everytime!

OEM 73 Z1 gas line length?? 02 Jan 2021 12:02 #841050

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1858
Nessism suggested this. I’ve had great luck with it.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

• Page: