Jetting

More
25 Jul 2020 08:59 #831409 by sparkyzappa
Jetting was created by sparkyzappa
Hello,
77 KZ1000 b1 with a Vance and Haynes 4-1 and KN pods, no engine mods. It pulls nice at the top but cruising and start to throttle up slowly it stumbles. I checked the fuel screw it was 1/4 turn out! Shouldn't it be like 1-1/2? so off came the carbs to find dirt in the bowls and pilot jet is a 30?? main jet 140? Im cleaning up the carbs and Im getting the floats set at 26? I be leave I need to put a smaller pilot in, there is some what of a formula ,like for every 5mm jet size equals a number of turns? Any one know where I should go with the pilot? Also I thought I read something once when you put a electronic ignition on you can open the plug gap to 39? do I keep timming stock?
Ok after I get all those answers it should rip!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Jul 2020 17:32 #831444 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Jetting
140 seems rather big.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Jul 2020 18:08 #831447 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Jetting
I'll take a guess that you're going through a lot of gas with that configuration. The sluggishness is probably because your settings are very rich. How do your plugs look?

Stock jetting was 15 pilots and 105 mains with the needles sitting in position #3. (The middle) To start with I would go back to original settings and work from there. I have a set of '76 carbs on my B4 with a 4/1 header and a Z1 air intake. I have 17.5 pilots and 107 main jets. My needles are the same as yours (if yours are stock) and are in the mid position but my needle jet is one size larger. (O6 vs O5 in your bike) My fuel/air screws are set at 1 and 1/2. The carbs are perfectly synchronized and the bike purrs on the highway.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sparkyzappa

More
25 Jul 2020 18:10 #831448 by sparkyzappa
Replied by sparkyzappa on topic Jetting
Also the 30 pilot, the screw almost bottomed out! I was thinking of going down to 20 pilot and 130 main, The Kawasaki dealer set it up

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Jul 2020 18:20 #831451 by hardrockminer
I think those are still too large. There is no need for a large main jet because up until about 3/4 throttle fuel flow is controlled by the needle inside the needle jet.

Fuel setting should be 25, not 26. 26 became the standard from 1978 onwards.

A better way to set them up is for fuel to rise to 3 mm below the edge of the carb body. Look in the carb section for a file on how to set the floats with a water glass instead of a tube.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
26 Jul 2020 04:14 - 26 Jul 2020 04:16 #831470 by sparkyzappa
Replied by sparkyzappa on topic Jetting
Ok , I'll start with your suggestions and run it, then do a plug check. How about my ignition questions? Any thoughts?
How about needle jet number and setting?
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 04:16 by sparkyzappa.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Jul 2020 05:07 #831471 by hardrockminer
Use stock needles and needle jets. The jets are O5. The needles are 5DL31 set in the middle position.

Plug gap should be 0.7 mm to 0.8 mm. Use NGKB8ES. If you're using a Dyna ignition the instructions will tell you how to set the timing..

More
26 Jul 2020 05:10 #831472 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Jetting
30 pilot and 140 mains are massive for any state of tune.
You want 115 to 117.5 mains max and back down to the stock 15 pilot.
All other jets and settings stock and fit air corrector jets.
www.kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992...lide-mikunis?start=0

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-