Kz400 vm30 Breather Hose Question

• minneapolis.watchmaker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2020 05:16 #831385 by minneapolis.watchmaker
Kz400 vm30 Breather Hose Question was created by minneapolis.watchmaker
Hi Group, I have installed vm30's and pod air filters on my 1978 kz400a deluxe, and after years of hunting the issue, I can say that Art at Valley Motorsports was right when he said with vintage japanese bikes its always the carbs!
The bike idles great, finally has power in the midrange, and all that I need to address this summer is what to do with the crankcase breather tube coming off the valve cover. The tube used to run into the old airbox and get filtered and reburned, but with just a generic breather filter on the end it smells of combustion gas at idle stopped.
My idea was to use a PCV valve, and split the line into 2- 3/8" lines with brass elbows fitted to the flat ends of the pod air filters to reroute into the intake, but at a 90 degree angle so there would be a "draw" of some vacuum.
There is a nice graphic of the cranckcase vent route on kz400.
Suffice it to say that the intake side is much bigger than the stock airbox ducts allow, and it runs amazing with really nice looking spark plugs.
I have not found the vacuum port so havent synched on the bike with a vacuum gauge set, but it is running so well I dont think I want to change anything without reason at this point.
Last few years I did the head gasket and had the head checked out at Bill Bune Enterprises here in MN. New coil, points, condenser, plugs (tried b7's, b8's and b9's), now running b8es as that is what 1978 spec is. Also went with 1978 valve clearance spec but had run it with the tighter 1976-77 valve clearance listed in my Clymer.
Anyone else notice the discrepancies between a Haynes kz400-440 manual and a Clymer? There are a few things between them that are off, and I chose the Clymer specs for this bike.
Anyone else have a solution to the breather tube routing?
Thanks,
Ari

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 08:25 - 25 Jul 2020 09:02 #831406 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Kz400 vm30 Breather Hose Question
By minneapolis.watchmaker: .... I have not found the vacuum port so havent synched on the bike with a vacuum gauge set ....

There's a Kawasaki service manual at the KZ400.com site. The carburetor synchronization is in the maintenance section of the 78-81 manual. It indicates that vac port plugs have to be removed, then vac sync fittings installed to synchronize the carburetors. I think the plugs are screw-in & are directly below the pilot adjusting screws. You might be able to use plastic vacuum fittings from the auto parts store.
warning: the forums there may harm your computer, but the tech info links on the main page seem to be fine.

As for the crankcase breather w individual pod filters, often times tubing is routed downward & behind the engine.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2020 09:02 by martin_csr.

More
25 Jul 2020 11:10 #831419 by gavroyer
Replied by gavroyer on topic Kz400 vm30 Breather Hose Question
Tangential, but the forums there seem to have disappeared. Still probably best not to click them, but the forums themselves no longer exist.

1980 KZ440-A1 LTD