Mikuni Bs34 carbs question

More
21 Jul 2020 12:59 - 22 Jul 2020 08:16 #831147 by Bucks
Mikuni Bs34 carbs question was created by Bucks
Hi all,
I recently bought a Z1000J that has been sitting in a shed for the last number of years. I got it fired up but it is only running on cylinders 3 and 4, and have it down to a fueling issue, possibly pilot jets blocked.
I have taken the carbs off the bike to clean them and when I did I have found that someone has broken the bottom part of the butterfly adjustment housing on carb #1 (see pic). Where might I get this part or would anyone have one on a doner carb they are willing to part company with at a reasonable price?
Also how much of an affect will this have on me trying to balance the carbs
Thanks in advance.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Jul 2020 08:16 by Bucks. Reason: Forgot to add pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 07:16 #831395 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Mikuni Bs34 carbs question
IMO that damaged bracket will adversely affect several things, including the ability to balance the carbs.

Reach out to wiredgeorge via Private Messages, and request a professional recommendation from him.

;)

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
25 Jul 2020 07:56 #831402 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Mikuni Bs34 carbs question
You need to replace that broken part. It's easy enough to do, finding the part is the hard part.
I might have one but it's hard to say for sure without seeing the part after removal from the carbs. Please fully break down the carbs and remove the part and post a photo, then notify me via PM and I'll look through my stash.

More
25 Jul 2020 17:53 #831445 by Bucks
Replied by Bucks on topic Mikuni Bs34 carbs question
Thank you both for your input on my query. As I mentioned I have only recently picked up the bike and I want to take it for a few miles before I start the full strip down, so the plan is to sort the front brakes, get it running on 4 cylinders and take it for a few miles.
I pulled the butterfly shaft and have attached a few photos, the visible part of the shaft is 65mm and the diameter is 8mm, these are not exact measurements as I can't find my calipers and had to use a ruler belonging to one of my kids. The bracket is attached to the shaft by a split pin so they can be separated.
Nessism thank you and if you get a chance to have a look through your stash that would be great.
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2020 17:57 #831446 by Bucks
Replied by Bucks on topic Mikuni Bs34 carbs question
Another photo that didn't attach in the last post
Attachments:

More
25 Jul 2020 18:27 #831452 by Nessism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bucks