What is working for you?

More
19 Jul 2020 19:38 #831024 by mac0239
What is working for you? was created by mac0239
Just curious what is working perfect for people with same setup as I seem to be spending too much time tweaking and wonder if I really am close to spot on or off track. Got a 79 KZ1000st (bored out to 1075 with Wiseco pistons). Stock VM28 carbs. Over the years I changed some stuff and always found I could keep it running sweet. I have the official Kawi WorkShop Manual and between it and some tips off this site have solved or fixed everything on bike. Lately though been havin a bitch of time getting the carbs just right and and not too rich. They are clean and I mean clean. The carb boots are maybe 5 years old. I use a fuel filter always and tank has no rust. I use Emgo Carb synchronizer to get them all synced. Exhaust is chrome Kerker from the era. And I took off airbox and put on K&N pods.
I know from manual what stock jets, mains are and based on everything I read on this forum and everywhere else I went up some. Way too much at first when ai dropped needle clip, put in 135 mains and 22.5 pilots. Plugs were pure soot. So dropped to 122 mains and 20 pilots and re-synch'd. Started air screw at 1 1/2 and plugs still bit black so opened them to 2 1/4. Still find bike a bit rich and smelling a bit of unburned gas. Side note, plugs are B8ES and i only burn mid or high grade fuel with NO ethynol. And alititude here is approx 4200ft .
.I am ready to drop back down but when I did before I ran too lean and had lots of popping etc. I checked/adjusted valves prob 1000miles ago and they were right on spec.
So my question is... For those of you that have same set up with pods, header and possibly 1075 kit or those who just know what works What would you use (or are you using) for jets, mains etc in your carbs to get that perfect not lean or rich mix? What is working for you?? Cheers. Steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 Jul 2020 19:48 #831025 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic What is working for you?
It may be your choke plungers leaking a little bit. Most people don't realize they wear on the bottom and allow gas to leak through.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mac0239

More
19 Jul 2020 20:09 #831026 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic What is working for you?
thanks man, Choke Plungers were not even on my radar and to best of my knowledge never been replaced. will check.
would still love to know what Carb set up is working perfect for someone with same size engine, pods, Kerker or similar.
If my settings/#20 pilot/#122 main (Stock needle) is working for others than that tells me I should prob stay with those sizes and look at other issues like leaks, etc.

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
19 Jul 2020 23:39 - 19 Jul 2020 23:45 #831033 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic What is working for you?
With pods you need air corrector jets.
You should leave all carb settings stock.. Fit air correctors and go up a couple of sizes on the main.
Read the attached thread to the end.
www.kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992...-round-slide-mikunis
Also new choke plungers are discontinued unless you find some NOS items but i have been offering a plunger re-seating service here in the UK using modern fuel resistant Viton.
They are £50 a set + £11 return post world wide and you need to send me your own plungers to re-seat.
I've done quite a few sets for KZR members in the USA and i also have one set of genuine Mikuni plungers with new dust caps at £111 delivered if needed.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 19 Jul 2020 23:45 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mac0239

More
21 Jul 2020 13:50 #831154 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic What is working for you?
thanks Zed1015. I will message you. BTW Do these things plug the hole or just restrict the air flow some? And you say I would just put in larger mains and change nothing else if I used them? And to go with stock #15 Pilots? Also does that just factor changing airbox to pods? What about changing Stock exhaust to Kerker 4/1? Does that change formula ? Still stock pilot, needle clip setting? as long as I am using "Air correctors"?

More
26 Jul 2020 05:18 #831474 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic What is working for you?

mac0239 wrote: thanks Zed1015. I will message you. BTW Do these things plug the hole or just restrict the air flow some? And you say I would just put in larger mains and change nothing else if I used them? And to go with stock #15 Pilots? Also does that just factor changing airbox to pods? What about changing Stock exhaust to Kerker 4/1? Does that change formula ? Still stock pilot, needle clip setting? as long as I am using "Air correctors"?

Hi. They restrict the airflow with a specific sized jet.
They are for use with pods or open carbs etc.
A couple of sizes up on the main will allow for the pods and pipe.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-