KZ750N idles well, except when completely cold

More
17 Jul 2020 06:42 #830863 by ghostdive
So, I finally found my main intermittent misfire issue - my coils were shorting out on the tank. Now I can set the idle as low as I like, even 800 - not that I keep it that low. My issue is now that when cold, at full or partial choke, it won't idle high enough to stay on, and I need to work the throttle a bit for a minute until it gets some warmth in it. It starts immediately when I press the button, and like I said, it idles perfectly. If I turned the idle screw up I'm positive that it would idle cold without issue, but then when warm I'd be at a higher than desirable idle.

Any advice for this? I feel like maybe I'm splitting hairs and should just enjoy my finally properly running bike, but if I can work through this I'd like to.

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
17 Jul 2020 07:08 #830864 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic KZ750N idles well, except when completely cold
I personally would call it good .
Only bikes I have or have seen that run perfect all the time from dead cold to very hot are fuel injected
Just my 2cts
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grcko

More
17 Jul 2020 13:00 - 17 Jul 2020 13:00 #830889 by cb900f
Not familiar with your specific bike but opening up the pilot screws a turn to a turn and 1/2 more than MFR spec (assuming you have access to them) usually helps cold running considerably.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2020 13:00 by cb900f.

More
17 Jul 2020 20:18 #830902 by Nessism
I see from your signature that you installed BS carbs, replacing the stock Keihin's. Given that it's hard to offer advice other than say it sounds like the choke passages are plugged. Those carbs use a choke pick up tube that gets fuel from a passage in the float bowl, and both the passage in the bowl and the tube itself is prone to plugging up. If you search the internet you will find a nice rebuild tutorial for those carbs. My advice is to go though them and make sure everything is 100% clean and then go from there.

More
18 Jul 2020 07:19 #830914 by TexasKZ
What rpm is the warm idle?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough