Carb or ignition?

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
21 Jun 2020 18:39 #828630 by Troubled1
Carb or ignition? was created by Troubled1
I Finally got my 81 750H-2 back together. It is only firing on cylinders 1&3 until I get the rpm’s up to about 6k. Plugs 1&3 are a light tan color 2&4 are black. I cleaned the plugs and tried it but only marginally better. I checked the fuel level in the carbs using the clear tube method and they are all within spec. All the carbs were completely disassembled over the winter and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and new gaskets installed. Anyone have any ideas as to where or what else I can check? Pilot screws are out 2.25 turns at the moment but once I get all 4 cylinders firing I’ll adjust those and do a sync. The valve clearances have been checked and are also within specs.

I’ve already missed 1/3 of the riding season and hopefully I’ll get this figured out very soon.

1981 kz750H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2020 20:40 #828639 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Carb or ignition?
You might want to switch the coils to see if the problem follows. If it doesn't, could be the ignitor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troubled1

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
22 Jun 2020 07:48 #828657 by Troubled1
Replied by Troubled1 on topic Carb or ignition?
I decided to pull #3 spark plug cap while the bike was idling. I started getting zapped from the front brake lever. I went and tried #2 cyl and the same thing happened. Looks like a non carb issue but something to do with either the 2&3 coil wiring or a grounding issue or both. I will dive into it and see what I can find. Any pointers as the best place to start looking?

1981 kz750H

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
22 Jun 2020 14:20 #828686 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Carb or ignition?
As an aside it sounds like you are on the correct track. But I wanted to add this link from Mike Nixon on the 60/40 rule of diagnostics, as I have found it to be useful.

motorcycleproject.com/text/the_60-40_rule.html

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
23 Jun 2020 06:21 #828718 by Troubled1
Replied by Troubled1 on topic Carb or ignition?
I did a little looking around on the bike last night. I discovered the coil for 2&3 wasn’t tight. The spacer and nut weren’t tight but the nut that attaches it to the frame mount was tight. I removed the coil, cleaned all mating surfaces and all is good. It’s running on all 4 cylinders.

1981 kz750H