Choke plungers stuck

More
13 Jun 2020 17:25 #828104 by jekyllman
Choke plungers stuck was created by jekyllman
Searched for this topic but couldn't see anything, surprisingly. I just took apart my carbs on my '80 KZ650. Cleaned it all out really well. I did NOT, however, take apart the choke/starting system as it was working fine. I assembled everything back together and now the choke lever has a really hard time moving. It's impossible to move the lever (or plungers) beyond half way and it just snaps back. It honestly feels like it's fighting against some kind of vacuum in there as it's not a firm stopping point. Not sure what happened or why it's the way it is. I verified that it's the plungers by loosening the screws that mount each plunger to the rod. I was able to take out the plunger on #4 since it's on the end and now it works great. Is there an easier fix here than taking the whole thing apart?

1980 KZ650F1 - 10k miles (see photo)
1981 KZ305 CSR - 10k miles (didn't have the heart to customize this one, will stay original)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2020 17:31 #828105 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Choke plungers stuck
Could be that your carb cleaner has attacked the rubber seals. Carbs should always be completely disassembled for cleaning.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Jun 2020 17:32 #828106 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Choke plungers stuck
The plungers can oxidize if bike sat long time, remove and clean plungers.