Kind Of strange Carb Problem

More
11 Jun 2020 13:35 #827923 by Rick H.
Kind Of strange Carb Problem was created by Rick H.
So I was out riding my '77 KZ-1000A1 the other day and before I left I started up the bike using the choke with the bike straight up and down. Once it started I set it on the side stand to let it warm up and put my helmet on and the rpm probably dropped by about half. I up righted the bike and the rpm came back up. I thought that was odd. Anyway out I went and I noticed that when I am in 5th gear at about 65 to 70 mph I can feel a surging in the bike. Not a bad surge but it surges none-the-less. If I accelerate it takes right off without stumbling or other problem. When I let it slow back down to around 65/70 MPH I can feel it surging again. I don't seem to be able to feel this same surging situation in lower gears. And every once in a while the engine actually feels like I have let off the throttle, but I have not and it will slowly come up to speed again.

The carbs were overhauled, but I have my doubts on the work. Everything else should be up to spec in the bike including valve adjustment, points etc. I am running the stock exhaust with complete stock air intake system including the silencer. Just for grins I took the silencer box off and the bike really ran for crap with big time surging in all gears and hesitation. Now as part of my diagnosis procedure I stuffed one of my gloves in one of the air box silencer holes, there are two of them and the surging seemed to be much less, but acceleration was terrible. I only ran it that way for a couple of miles.

I think the needles are in the #3 position and I am running 107.5 main jet with a 17.5 pilot. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2020 14:25 #827928 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Kind Of strange Carb Problem
If this only started after the carb overhaul it is obviously fueling issues.
Most likely lean as your glove experiment would have richened the mix.
The main areas to look at are float heights possibly being too low and air leaks at the boots etc.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
11 Jun 2020 17:49 #827946 by 73z1
Replied by 73z1 on topic Kind Of strange Carb Problem
>>> I took the silencer box off and the bike really ran for crap with big time surging in all gears and hesitation
Bike is running lean, check fuel valves sticky, low level of gas in bowls, clogged idle jet, clogged main jet, dirt in tank or bowls.

More
12 Jun 2020 06:00 - 12 Jun 2020 06:04 #827973 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Kind Of strange Carb Problem
If the bike has been running fine previously, sounds like you could have been low on fuel.
It could also have been a drop or two of water in the tank.

Just make sure fuel flow is good before opening the jetting worm can.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2020 06:04 by loudhvx.

More
12 Jun 2020 06:53 #827978 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Kind Of strange Carb Problem
Thanks to all for the responses. I'll be doing some carb work this weekend to try and figure this out.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1