What octane should I be running?

• Jpallison1722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 May 2020 08:48 - 28 May 2020 09:08 #826742 by Jpallison1722
What octane should I be running? was created by Jpallison1722
Hey guys. My 83 kz650 csr is finally on the road and runs great! I was wondering, what grade a gas should I be running. So far I've burned two tanks of regular. I know it's an older bike so I'm wondering if I should be running a higher octane fuel. Also should I also be adding lead additive to it?
Last edit: 28 May 2020 09:08 by Jpallison1722.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2020 09:21 - 28 May 2020 09:42 #826744 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What octane should I be running?
The owner's manual probably says "87 octane or higher" [(ron + mon)/2]. It may not specify unleaded, but most if not all new vehicles w gasoline engines sold in the USA by at least the late 70s were probably required to burn unleaded fuel. There may be a label on the motorcycle somewhere. I usually alternate between 87 & 91 and occasionally add 93 to ensure the octane rating stays above 87. maybe not necessary, but that's what I do to avoid pinging which might occur under certain conditions, especially in the hot hot summer months (theoretically).
Last edit: 28 May 2020 09:42 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jpallison1722

More
28 May 2020 09:25 #826746 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What octane should I be running?
I run 93 octane Shell, Exxon, or other "Top Tier" gasoline (see link below for info on "Top Tier) in my 1977 KZ650-C1. I know many others run lower octane, but when I bought the bike new in 1977 the dealership said to run the highest octane I could buy. I've never had any fuel related issues at all; the bike now has more than 61,000 miles on it, and the valves have stayed in adjustment all that time. Maybe it's a coincidence, but that's what works for me. Ed

www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/...e-worth-extra-price/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 May 2020 13:31 #826761 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What octane should I be running?
Like Eds dealer recommended .
Run the best gas you can.
After all. How much are you putting in your tank gallons / or price wise
Gasoline like everything else is not the same as in the 70's
I miss Sunoco 260 at the pumps.
Today I run premium all the time , or Turbo Blue if using lots of boost.
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
28 May 2020 13:40 #826762 by urankjj
Replied by urankjj on topic What octane should I be running?
I have heard that the lead that used to be added to fuel would help to lubricate the bronze components in the valve train. So if you have an older head you might try a bit of lead. (:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:) sorry . Some race fuels still contain lead and there are additives. Will they help ?

More
28 May 2020 14:47 #826766 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic What octane should I be running?
Mix in a gallon of VP110 to three gallons of pump gas and you have a fuel that you will never have to worry about denotation or any other motor problems associated with a low octane fuel. Plus it has a good amount of tetraethyl lead so your valves and valve seats will benefit from it too!!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: urankjj

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 May 2020 15:33 #826769 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What octane should I be running?
OR
79 Dollars for 5 gallons plus shipping and tax

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Gamma

More
28 May 2020 22:09 #826797 by F64
Replied by F64 on topic What octane should I be running?
Run whatever you want. As long as you don't have detonation.
If you hear detonation, use a higher octane.

"Octane rating is simply a measure of a fuel’s resistance to detonation – it is not about horsepower or heat energy. Octane does have a significant impact on how an engine performs because it is the enabler that can allow an engine to reach its peak potential before encountering detonation." David Reher of Reher Morrison

rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-92-the-detonation-investigation/

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, SWest

More
29 May 2020 04:48 #826810 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What octane should I be running?

F64 wrote: Run whatever you want. As long as you don't have detonation.
If you hear detonation, use a higher octane.

"Octane rating is simply a measure of a fuel’s resistance to detonation – it is not about horsepower or heat energy. Octane does have a significant impact on how an engine performs because it is the enabler that can allow an engine to reach its peak potential before encountering detonation." David Reher of Reher Morrison

rehermorrison.com/tech-talk-92-the-detonation-investigation/

There is ZERO advantage with running high octane fuel compared to regular unless the engine is detonating, and my bike doesn't detonate on regular so that's what it gets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 May 2020 05:22 - 29 May 2020 05:25 #826815 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic What octane should I be running?
I agree with the comments regarding octane. Most older bikes were low compression, requiring only regular fuel with an octane of around 87. Newer bikes with high compression may require higher octane rating. The issue for me in older bikes is ethanol, which interestingly increases octane rating.

Gas in my neighbourhood contains up to 10% ethanol, which I try to avoid if possible. Several retailers offer premium without ethanol so that's what I buy for my vintage fleet. For my KLR I buy regular with ethanol.

This site allows us in NA to find stations with ethanol free gas.

www.pure-gas.org/

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Last edit: 29 May 2020 05:25 by hardrockminer.