Diagnosis of no fuel condition?

More
26 May 2020 06:54 #826544 by ghostdive
Diagnosis of no fuel condition? was created by ghostdive
I'm having a very hard time with getting the bike started, in that it isn't at all.

Spark is good, timing is good, fuel is filling the carbs, airbox and all vacuum lines connected, cranks strongly. 12.3v at the coils. Ignites starting fluid, but doesn't run.

So I'm thinking there must be a fuel issue. I'm using freshly rebuilt BS34s - followed a detailed guide on checking all of the passageways before reassembly. I've tried pilot screws at 2.5, 1.5, 3, and 3.5 turns out.

I'm just not sure where to go from here. I've tried to be as thorough as possible with my line of questioning, but no results. I appreciate any and all input and suggestions.

1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
26 May 2020 07:19 - 26 May 2020 07:22 #826546 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Diagnosis of no fuel condition?
Are you sure you have any fuel in the carb bowls? Check your float orientation, because it´s be easy to put them in upside down!!!
This will lock the fload valve permanent in close position.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2020 07:22 by Scirocco.

More
26 May 2020 07:34 #826550 by ghostdive
Replied by ghostdive on topic Diagnosis of no fuel condition?
Unfortunately, the floats are in the right way up - also checked their height to be 22.3mm after I put them back in. I was REALLY hoping that I made a mistake like that.

2001 ZX-6R

More
26 May 2020 07:55 #826552 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Diagnosis of no fuel condition?
I am presuming this is from cold as you havent managed to start it yet? You need the ènricher/choke system to work well to get good starts from cold. Even a lightly damaged or undersize o rings will cause major issues. Check the o rings on the enricher plungers any air leaks there will make very hard to start.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: ghostdive

More
28 May 2020 08:14 #826739 by ghostdive

Warren3200gt wrote: I am presuming this is from cold as you havent managed to start it yet? You need the ènricher/choke system to work well to get good starts from cold. Even a lightly damaged or undersize o rings will cause major issues. Check the o rings on the enricher plungers any air leaks there will make very hard to start.

Thank you, I removed and replaced them just to be sure - they seemed okay but don't want to take chances. While I had the carbs off I found tons of varnish in the bowls, so I cleaned my tank for the second time (being a lot more thorough) and I'm a lot closer to starting - smokes and backfires, which is progress! I appreciate your suggestion. I wouldn't have thought to check.

2001 ZX-6R

More
28 May 2020 12:14 #826758 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Diagnosis of no fuel condition?
If you have found fuel residue varnish in the bowls you really need to ultrasonic clean those carbs. As you have found varnish in the bowls I assume they haven't been done yet? ( as the bowls were cudged up) and if there is a mess in the bowls you can bet that the carb tubes will be equally gummed up.
Modern fuel is not good for our bikes so try to find fuel with no eythanol in it.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

More
29 May 2020 05:51 #826820 by ghostdive
I did clean the carbs thoroughly - boiled, not ultrasonically, but still were very clean. The varnish was from my tank - some chunks that I got out (second time cleaning) were 1/4" thick! After getting some new fuel in the tank, I switched the plug wires around (praying for stupidity) and it fired up immediately. I suppose this topic is closed :cheer:

2001 ZX-6R