Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1985 ZX900 14 May 2020 03:20 #825696

• Scooterfrail
  • Scooterfrail's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just new to this forum and also fairly recently back in to motorcycling.
I bought a 1985 and 1984 (Parts) Ninja and after sorting out a bad pulse coil and CDI box finally got the beat running.
It has a 4 in 1 Supertrapp and had a professional shop adjust the valves, synch the carbs, and do a compression check.
The bike would feel like it hit a walll at 5K in every gear so over the winter I removed and cleaned the carbs, removed the box and added pods and ordered a sigma jet Kit with instructions specific to the model and set up.
I taped the throttle into sections as suggested and have been test riding with the following results:
1) The main jet was originally a 132 and they provided a 140 and 155. They suggested the 140 with he box and 155 with pods. The top end on the bike is strong (3/4 throttle to full) but I have not done a chop[ test yet.
2) The pilot jet was a 35 and they provided a 138 and suggested the fuel screws out 4 turns. The original setting is 2 1/2 turns. The bike starts idles and runs well up to 1/4 throttle but my neighbour (trusted ) said that when I am cruising by at slow speed he saw a bit of smoke and the bike smelled rich. The bike does perform well from idle to 1/4 turn and only requires the choke to start and runs well without.
3) 1/4 throttle and up is where all the issues seem to be, however I realize that all these systems overlap.
The bike starts growling like there is a limiter at exactly 1/4 throttle in every gear up through 3/4 throttle where it comes off the needle and on to main jet . I am able to accelerate through it the mid range but its not getting or has too much something.
The jet needle does not have clips so the instructions were one nylon washer and one silver spacer to raise the needle. It suggested removing or adding silver if too lean and removing one for too rich mild range. I tried every combination and the setting that is not a total disaster is the one nylon washer. (One of the silver spacers is 1/2 the thickness of the nylon. I also had a second set of spring that I clipped and tried and a second set of throttle sliders which I drilled the slide hole as the kit suggested but neither of these made any improvement.
Just looking for a jumping off point here. Some articles I have read say start with the mains and work you way back and the other with the pilot and work up. Should I just start with the Fuel screws and turn them in 1/2 a turn to see what happens?
Appreciate any help here.
Scotty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1985 ZX900 14 May 2020 05:47 #825700

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
I hate to say this, but changing the carbs and intake has introduced more variables.
The Supertrap is adjustable, and you should be able to run stock intake and jetting with the proper number of discs in place. In the long run, it might be easier to return the intake and jetting to stock until you get he 5,000 rpm problem sorted.
Did the carbs have stock jets and needles to start with?
It might also be helpful to get a copy of the instructions for tuning the Supertrap and see what yours is set up for.
Also, though I am not familiar with the 6Sigma jet numbers, that looks like a gigantic jump for the pilot jet. Are you sure they sent the correct ones? It seems to me that with other jet kits, the pilot jet is either stock, or just a little bit larger than stock. The big changes are in the main and needle.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1985 ZX900 14 May 2020 06:50 #825705

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
As an example, my ZRX has Keihin CVK36 carbs, APE individual filters and a Holeshot complete exhaust system. I have a Dynojet Stage 3 kit, consisting of
DJ adjustable needles
DJ #132 main jets (stock is Keihin #90)
Stock #35 pilot jet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scooterfrail

1985 ZX900 16 May 2020 08:20 #825851

• Scooterfrail
  • User
Hey
Thanks for the quick response. Typo on the Pilot jet. Sock was 35 and they provided a 38.
My concerns I guess are the number of turns out that were recommended. Stock is 2 1/2 and the recommendation was 4 turns.
Also a huge jump from 132 to 155 on the main jet.
How much impact do these components (which are working well) have on the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle issue?

1985 ZX900 16 May 2020 08:29 #825852

• Scooterfrail
  • User
Hey Pilot was a 35 and they provided a 38.
Sorry about the typo

1985 ZX900 16 May 2020 11:42 #825862

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
As I understand these things, at idle, the mixture is controlled by the pilot circuit ( jet and mixture screw). As the throttle is opened, the slide begins to pull the tapered needle upward, allowing for an increasing flow of fuel. The pilot circuit never stops flowing, but it becomes increasingly less influential as more and more of the needle is uncovered. By 3/4 throttle, the pilot circuit is providing a fairly insignificant percentage of the overall fuel flow. By wide open throttle, the needle is out of the equation, and the main jet determines fuel flow, with a spec still being contributed by the pilot circuit.
You are right at the needle is the primary culprit between 1/4 and 3/4, but at the lower end, the pilot still has some effect.
I wonder if the wrong needles got packed in your kit?

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

1985 ZX900 16 May 2020 11:51 #825863

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
Just a wild shot in the dark here---
Could what Kawasaki calls the jet needle (#16017 in the diagram) be missing or installed upside down in your carbs?

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...0-a2/caburetor-parts

• Page: