• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 10:46 #825633

• Trotskie10
  • Trotskie10's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone!
I recently got my carbs back from Wired Geroge they look great! I hooked everything back up gave it quite a few cranks and it is not starting. I have the petcock on prime, and choke on... This might not be the right sequence? I am wondering if there is a better sequence or I am doing it wrong. I did put in a filter and the filter has fuel in it. SO it is pulling gas. It appears to have spark, and I am assuming it has enough compression as it started before I took the carbs off. I tried to adjust the throttle back to where it was. Also I did not mess with the idle adjustment at all but might need to be adjusted?.. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!
1983 KZ750f1 shaft.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 13:56 #825645

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Well there are all sorts of things to check in these situations. Depends on what went on originally. Did you set valves and stuff per the book? You say it "appears to have spark", but you need to know for sure and certain that it has spark. Can't guess at that one, it one of the 3 main ingredients. I don't know what your bike has or doesn't have, but I would look at making positive you have fuel in the float bowls and then checking for spark at the plugs. Not just one plug, but all the plugs. If you have fuel going in the engine along with air and spark at the plugs it should say something to you. Absence of one of those three and nada happens. Fuel in the filter doesn't necessarily mean it's getting into the engine. Good luck.
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 16:07 #825661

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
Be sure that filter you added is designed for a gravity feed fuel system. If it's for a pressurized system the fuel won't flow though it freely on a bike.

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 16:30 #825666

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

Nessism wrote: Be sure that filter you added is designed for a gravity feed fuel system. If it's for a pressurized system the fuel won't flow though it freely on a bike.

This right here. If you have some spare fuel line, take the filter out of the equation.

Other items:

- Assuming they are new, pull the plugs and check if they smell like fuel.

- When the bike is cranking, do you get a smell of fuel from the exhaust(s)?

- If the bike has been sitting for a while, did you charge the battery fully?
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 17:46 #825680

• Trotskie10
  • User
So i went ahead and took out the filter and bottle fed it to see if it would run. It did finally start to run, so I eliminated the filter situation. Now I am at the point where the bike will start and idle around 1000-1100 ( choke on) but if I give it any gas at all it dies right now, and I mean right now. I checked over all the vacuum lines, they are just as they were before. Everything is back to how it was before. There are two vacuum lines that are on cylinder 1 and 4 which hook up to the vacuum system. there is a hose on 3 that connects to the petcock and then 2 is capped. Also I am starting it now with petcock "on" and the choke on. however, when I turn the choke off it is not doing anything... It seems to be acting the same. Normally there will be a change when the choke is engaged or not etc.. but no difference wide open on or off. For some reason, I thought this would be a quick situation. I was wrong. So it has not been synced yet.. Would that make this much difference? Also is there a chance that the floats need to be adjusted? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 19:23 #825689

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
George would have manually synched the carbs and adjusted the floats. But to be sure why don't you contact him by email and ask?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Carb install, start 13 May 2020 19:58 #825693

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
There are 4 vacuum ports on those carbs, located by the pilot screws. Two should have caps on them, one should go to the petcock and one to the clean air system.

Fuel feed is from the petcock to the nipple between carbs 2 and 3.

There are two breather vent ports, located off Tee fittings between 1-2 and 3-4. Those two hoses should route up and back to somewhere by the airbox, open to the air.

Be sure the airbox is hooked up and there is a filter installed or the bike won't run for crap.

Carb install, start 14 May 2020 18:38 #825772

• Trotskie10
  • User
After putting in some hours today... I checked all the plugs and there is good spark at each. S0 I know 100% I have spark on each cylinder. I did realize one of the plugs was not seated all the way so I cleaned up that situation and is now seated well and torqued. I realized the new fuel line that I installed was a little long and creating a bend in the fuel line keeping me from getting the fuel I needed to the carb. I was able to cut it shorter.
Choke- I noticed that the choke was sticking a little bit . once I moved it on and off quite a few times it seemed to come around and is now working better.

Current situation- It is starting well and will idle. However, I believe I have a nasty cam chain tension sound. I followed the directions of the manual chain tensioner but am not 100% sure it is correct.

Also still seems like it has a miss somewhere or timing is off. This might be related to the cam tensioner not being adjusted correctly?

I know you all might not want to know all this stuff, but if anyone comes along they might have these issues.

Thank you! I appreciate all the help!

Last edit: by Trotskie10.

Carb install, start 14 May 2020 20:33 #825782

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
If the carburetors are not carefully synchronized, the engine will make rattly noises.

Missing is usually spark or fuel related, not camshafts.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.
  • Page: