Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment

More
12 May 2020 09:43 - 12 May 2020 09:46 #825538 by philstar
Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment was created by philstar
I am about to try to adjust my throttle valves on my carbs using the wire-drop technique, however, it looks like the throttle valve is lower at the back than the front. On carb #3 here you can just about see daylight:

Looking at this photo, you can see a very big gap at the front curved edge of the throttle valve, but the rear edge is a lot closer to the carb body.

My question is—should I be clamping the wire in between the back edge of the throttle valve and the carb body, and ignoring the front edge?

1978 KZ650B2a // Frame KZ650B-519953 // Engine KZ650BE074757 // Mileage 214883 // Vance & Hines 4 Into 1 exhaust // Excel coils // Imported to UK: 2008 // >12 years since last use // Bike beginner, restoring my late Father's 'dream' bike. He never got to ride it, I will never sell it.
Last edit: 12 May 2020 09:46 by philstar. Reason: spelling errors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2020 10:03 - 12 May 2020 15:22 #825539 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment
Engine side. This is what the 1981 KZ650 FSM shows.

I disconnected the throttle spring so that the slide notches wouldn't get buggered. my throttle slides have little cutouts or notches. Also, I set #1 to about 1.0 mm (it doesn't have to be perfect), then used 2 identical drill bits to set the other 3 >> put one drill bit in the #1 carb & leave it there, then use the second drill bit to set the others. easy. Make sure the big throttle stop thumb screw is set at about the midway point, so that you'll have some adjustment either way when done. Some guys do the slide adjustment, then find that the throttle screw can't be turned out or in any further.
Last edit: 12 May 2020 15:22 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philstar

More
12 May 2020 10:03 #825540 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment
You can do it on either front or back depending on the width of wire used or just use your eye to judge the equal daylight showing under each slide.
You can also level the front curved edge against the top of the carb bore (venturi) to achieve the same result and having the throttle return spring removed makes it easier if doing it that way.
Bench syncing only roughly gets the carbs in the ballpark area for balance though and once on the bike you will still need to vacuum balance them to ensure each cylinder is doing equal work.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
12 May 2020 10:04 #825541 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment
The wire-drop technique is for the output port of the carbs not the Input with the slider cutoff.

More
13 May 2020 11:08 #825634 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Carburettor Throttle Valve Adjustment
You say on carb 3 the throttle valve/slide is lower at the back than the front, do you have pictures of the back and front of carb 3, have you got the slide in the right way round?