Linkages, springs and everything else

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
18 Apr 2020 18:31 #823627 by Troubled1
Linkages, springs and everything else was created by Troubled1
I currently have my 81 LTD in pieces and am now putting the carbs all back together after cleaning. Unfortunately I never took pictures of where all the linkages, spacers, springs etc go. If anyone has a complete set that is all together and not on a bike post pictures of the linkages, throttle cable cam, plastic spacers and springs?

I managed to figure out some of it and the factory service manual I downloaded doesn’t show the procedure of putting all the carbs back together on the rails.

1981 kz750H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2020 05:52 - 19 Apr 2020 06:10 #823650 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Linkages, springs and everything else
Pg 47 of the FSM has a good exploded diagram. I think the 1980 carbs are the same as yours.
I'm assuming you have the good 750-4 pdf >> yellow-gold cover w color wiring diagrams.
Also, the diagram drawings at Partzilla & EB pics can be helpful.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2020 06:10 by martin_csr.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 Apr 2020 06:18 #823654 by Nessism

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
19 Apr 2020 07:14 #823660 by Troubled1
Replied by Troubled1 on topic Linkages, springs and everything else
Thanks. My main area of concern is the choke linkages between carbs 2-3. The light spring that attaches behind the choke butterfly shaft for carbs 1-2. I see where it attaches to the lever shaft post and in the pictures you provided it looks like it attaches to the 1-2 carb butterfly shaft. Does it need to be tensioned when installed? If so, how many turns? I tried zooming in as much as possible before the picture blurred. Is there some kind of cup or washer between the butterfly shaft and spring?

1981 kz750H

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 Apr 2020 16:16 #823691 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Linkages, springs and everything else
The choke actuation shaft has a tab which pushes the 1-2 choke shaft. The 1-2 choke shaft then in part has a tab that pushes the 3-4 choke shaft. The spring works in reverse order; it attaches to 3-4 and pushes 1-2 closed via that tab. In terms of the spring you can't wind it up beyond about 1/2 turn. It's very light force. Before you tighten the butterfly screws gang all the carbs together on the joining brackets but keep the screws slightly loose. Play with the butterfly position on the shafts before you start to snug things down. If there is even a tiny bit of misalignment the butterfly's won't close properly. And be sure to use red loctite on the butterfly screws and consider upsetting the hollow point. I made a sharp nub by cutting a piece off the end of a file and then attached that to some high leverage pliers. Reach into the carbs and get the nub into the screw hollow and squeeze as hard as you can. I've got photos if you can't imagine what I'm talking about.

BTW, follow this link to flickr then click the photo and it blows up big.
[img
P1030123 by nessism , on Flickr

• Troubled1
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Inline 4 ever
More
20 Apr 2020 19:52 #823779 by Troubled1
Replied by Troubled1 on topic Linkages, springs and everything else
The Nessism that’s exactly what I needed. Got everything back together and will be using loctite on all the butterfly screws.

1981 kz750H