KZ550F-2 To pod filter, or not to pod filter

More
11 Apr 2020 07:37 #823087 by Bryguy
I have a KZ550F-2 from '84. Everywhere I read it says to not get pod filters as you will have to tune and rejet your carbs and the benefits are minimal. But here's the thing, I already have a 4:1 exhaust due to the previous owner replacing it.

I have a couple questions:
  • Will it make the performance worse to get pod filters?
  • Is it a moot point on the rejet since I already have a 4:1 and should probably do it anyway?
  • What would you do in this instance?

It's already sort of boggy at low speeds, but is extremely fast thereafter. I'm thinking it's lean due to some crackle on letting off the gas, running hot and being extremely cold blooded. But that being said, I'm pretty new to owning a motorcycle and working on engines.

Can someone give me some specifics on what to do? I'm thinking I should just get pod filters because I have to either- buy 4:2 exhaust or rejet anyway. The cheaper method here would be to get pods and find a local motorcycle dude to rejet and tune for me on the sly. Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2020 13:28 #823109 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550F-2 To pod filter, or not to pod filter
I wouldn't bother getting a "local dude" unless he specializes in rejetting CV carbs from the 1980's, and if he does, he will charge a fortune to do it right because it takes a lot of time. You'll probably do a better job yourself since you will care how it runs and will have more patience.

However, if motorcycles are relatively new to you, this is probably not a good beginner project. You would probably be better off getting it to work with the airbox since you have it. The boggy issues could be the exhaust, but it could also be other issues. At any rate, you need to make sure the other systems are working properly before you do any carb work. That includes valve adjustment (see my signature), compression test, ignition, vacuum leaks, and the clean air system which can start to cause some popping when it starts to fail.

After checking all that, you will want to make sure the carbs have all diaphragms in tact. That means inspecting all the little nooks and crannies near where the diaphragms meet the slide core.

A mild exhaust should work ok with the CV carbs and stock jetting.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.