Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E

More
10 Apr 2020 05:04 #822998 by JudahMyles
Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E was created by JudahMyles
Searched the carb forum but didn't see anything there concerning what I want to do. Sorry if it's been beaten to death or if it's just, plain, obvious.
I recently picked up a 1981 KZ 750H LTD (well... actually a frame, 3 large boxes of parts, and 2 engines: 1981 - 750cc & 1980 - 650cc for $200). After cleaning, sandblasting and painting everything, I put the 650 in the frame and now it's pretty much ready to run (still have to wire it but that shouldn't be hard). Had to buy carbs (off ebay) and clean them but the engine starts and idles (with help from the choke).. The pumper carb is leaking fuel out the front so I'm about to pull the carbs again but I'd like to eliminate the accelerator pump. Is it as simple as just putting on the same bowl as the other carbs (also got a spare set of carbs for $40... parts and such).

I'd really like to eliminate the Accel pump since it adds a bit more complexity to the teardown and I've read that it was really just a crutch anyway.
Any ideas, recommendations, etc. appreciated.
Thankyou

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2020 09:17 #823017 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E
People have eliminated the pump on some models and just rejetted accordingly, so it can be done. I think there are ways to do it without buying a new bowl, but sorry I don't have details.

More
10 Apr 2020 12:35 - 11 Apr 2020 06:16 #823028 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Eliminate Accel pump on 1980 650E
I recall a topic in the last couple of months with almost the exact same question.
You may need to reject the carburetors as they were usually jetted lean from the factory & the accelerator pump was added to compensate for the leaness. With the stock jetting & pump disabled, you may be real lean briefly under heavy throttle. guessing. I installed a K&L accelerator pump kit & verified that it functions normally >> this was more than 5 yrs ago >> no problems.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2020 06:16 by martin_csr.