• Page:

TOPIC:

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 10 Dec 2019 22:40 #815205

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
"Sherman, set the WABAC machine to 1979!"

I was attending the University of Maine at Orono, as an Anthropology major. The greater Bangor (BANG-gore, not "Banger" like every other city so named) was just entering the Malling of America phase of development.

I was riding a Suzuki GT-380 2-stroke triple that I had picked up cheap at the end of Summer. Studying the engineering aspects of the bike, I was shocked (as are many KZ1300 fans) with the small size of the "snorkel" on the airbox. The cross-sectional area was smaller than that of only two of the three Mikuni carbs.

Unlike the KZ1300, the snorkel was a molded rubber piece that was very easily detached from the airbox without any surgery. I took it out one weekend, and loved the louder intake sound. However, after living with it for a couple weeks, I realized that the bike was actually down on power.

This was also the Golden Age of magazines, and in addition to Car Craft, Hot Rod, and Popular Hot-Rodding (and five more), I was also getting Cycle, Cycle World, and Cycle Guide.

While leafing through one of these, I was intrigued to see that somebody was advertising Mikuni-compatible main jets made out of some kind of plastic. Through the wonders of injection-molding technology, they claimed to offer jets with much closer flow tolerances than machined brass jets, at a lower price. I called every motorcycle dealer within a radius of 20 miles, but none of them had ever heard of these plastic jets, and couldn't even be bothered to keep a complete selection of Mikuni brass jets on hand. The best advice I got was "come on over and we'll see what we can do."

I tried raising the needles without much success, so I sadly went back to the snorkel.

In 2019, I have zero results searching for plastic jets. I seem to recall that they were called something like Uni-Jets, but I could easily be wrong.

Anybody else remember these?
Richard
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger (and) more complex... It takes a touch of genius
and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." -- E.F. Schumacher, from Small is Beautiful (1973)

"How are you going to tell Bernie to 'let go of the torch' when he invented fire?" Trevor Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 11 Dec 2019 03:31 #815207

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1461
All I can say is don't touch plastic jets with a bargepole.
They are nowhere near as accurate as brass jets and don't flow the same .
Even plastic jets of the same size didn't flow the same as each other.
That's why they are hard to find.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 11 Dec 2019 05:02 #815208

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
The kz750 E1 i bought in 2003 had some white plastic jets in the Keihin carbs. As far as i can remember the plastic threads were easy to bugger up. Threw them out and put in brass. Not surprised by zed1015's comment.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 11 Dec 2019 05:32 #815210

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2066
I bet they would be entertaining with ethanol.....
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 11 Dec 2019 05:53 #815212

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Here's a set of plastic 147.5's for you. Never used them back in the day. Not sure how I came to own them. Notice how the heads are all chewed up. Junk!

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
Attachments:

Plastic Mikuni Jets? 11 Dec 2019 11:38 #815234

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Had a couple of bikes with these in, put them straight in the bin and put new brass in, much much better.

• Page: