• Page:

TOPIC:

Carburetor air inlet clamps 04 Nov 2019 17:04 #813551

• Caleator
  • Caleator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Kz550D-1
I was going some canyon runs and I noticed that I seemed to be lacking top end power. anything above 65 mph seemed hard to achieve without being pinned. I like to blame it on the weight of the bike but after the canyon ride I'm starting to question it.(for the most part I cruise and baby this engine so didn't notice until now).
so I turn to the carbs.

for some reason I didn't realize until now but my carbs don't have clamps on the air side. Which explains (hopefully) why I haven't been getting results on tuning the air mixture screws. 2&3 seem to be perfect but the curvature of the boots on 1&4 seem to force it to run lean (on top of the fact I have no clamps)

Before I spend money on OEM springs clamps. I was curious as to if they are even good compared to just a screw type hose clamp? Im tempted to paint some black and just use those. this a bad idea?

(sidenote: partzilla has kz550A spring clamps but are out of kz550D spring clamps. they use the same 22mm tk carbs do they not?)
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (KZ550D-1)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Caleator.

Carburetor air inlet clamps 04 Nov 2019 17:14 #813553

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2673
The airbox boots have a curved groove in them to hold the spring clamps. If you use band clamps you are going to have to crush all that flat which is barbaric in comparison. Do what you want but I know what I'd do...

Oh, and even if the boots are leaking a little it won't cause your bike to run like a complete dog at higher speeds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator

Carburetor air inlet clamps 04 Nov 2019 19:45 #813564

• Caleator
  • Caleator's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
alright I'll probably get the OEM springs thanks.
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (KZ550D-1)

• Page: