Can you run vm 28's without the accelerator pump

More
26 Oct 2019 13:35 #813079 by mike1957
I rebuilt the accelerator pump after I noticed the small nozzle on carb #1 wasn't spraying fuel. Tried cleaning it with carb cleaner, a brass brush, air compressor, opened the float bowl the passage was clear up to that small pin hole where it should squirt fuel and no luck. I was thinking larger main jets would compensate for not using the accelerator pump ? Has anyone had this problem ? any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

mike1957

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2019 14:06 #813082 by Nessism
There was a thread a couple weeks ago about deleting the pump on some 650 VM24's. Several people said it's possible and even recommended.
The pump is to cover up for lean jetting when wacking open the throttle quickly. Don't think the main jet is what you need to change. Maybe the pilot or lift the needle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike1957

More
26 Oct 2019 14:46 - 26 Oct 2019 15:06 #813083 by zed1015
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSimple answer is YES.
Accel pump is only for quicker response on initial acceleration and is not active at constant speeds so
deleting it will not affect fueling in other areas and a larger main jet is not needed.
You can just disconnect the pump arm at the very least and use as normal VM's.
You should be able to unblock the jet though using a piece of fine wire at the nozzle end or use proper jet cleaners like these - -

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 26 Oct 2019 15:06 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike1957