Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 13:12 #812783

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Cabbagio Redentor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I went for a nice ride today, on the way back home the bike died when I let off the throttle at a light and wouldnt start up for a bit. On the last stop sign before my street, it did it again. I rolled down the street and bump started it, and it ran okay until I let off the throttle again. I figured it could be fouled plugs and pulled and replaced em.

I've been doing a lot of slower riding, not really staying above 5k rpm, since I don't want to be loud in a park, so can't really blame the main jet, since it hasnt been WOT and its stock sized jet. PO had pods on it, and I switched back to airbox, and I may have tuned pilot circuit poorly.

By the time I put the new plugs back in, it was long enough that it probably would've started anyway, but it started right up. Could these plugs cause my symptoms? Or should I keep looking?
'80 kz650 LTD - Candy Red B A B Y

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cabbagio Redentor.

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 13:30 #812784

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Looks like you ride NGK Iridium spark plugs. What kind of head range/typ are they? Looks like a fat air/fuel ratio on main and pilot jet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cabbagio Redentor

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 14:00 #812786

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
I'm not quite sure what they are. They were in the bike when I bought it.

They say Iridium BR7EIX on them. I replaced them with NGK b7ES plugs, which is what my manual calls for.

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 14:37 #812787

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
What Jet size on Pilot and main you are running now? Ignition Timing correct and idnition advancer lubed and moving freely?

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 14:49 #812788

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
size 15 around 2 turns out on pilots, 102.5 mains. Now that I check whats stock, I think it should have 100s, since its an E1. I must've made a mistake and found the size for a different model when I replaced the PO's 107s, since most are using 102.5s, but none with acceleration pumps.

I swear I have to do everything twice because I overlook something the first time.

I don't know about the ignition timing. It's points ignition and I don't really understand how it works, nor have a timing light, so I haven't touched it.

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 15:08 #812789

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
Do you have a service Manual? A Points ignition need some adjustments every 3000 miles on the Points gap (dwell) and timing!

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 15:27 #812792

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
I just have the owners manual and the service manual pdf for a different model that does not include the ignition timing adjustment.

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 15:36 #812793

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
As Scirocco stated, check your ignition advancer which should be behind your points plate. You should be able to see part of it through the timing slot after removing the side cover if it's similar to a KZ-1000. Mine was just starting to rust up a little bit and it wouldn't let the counter weights move freely. Sometimes they would move and other times not which lead to some strange running of the motor. I just sprayed a little rust penetrant/lubricant on the counter weight pivots and it worked fine after that. The point ignition is fairly simple but you do need a timing light to be accurate and a dwell meter although you can use a feeler gauge to set the points. Dwell meter is best. Good luck
Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Last edit: by Rick H..

Fellas am I too rich? 20 Oct 2019 15:49 #812794

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Until you replace and properly set the points you are wasting your time fiddling with other stuff trying to make the bike run well. Take a very close look at the contact points. If the contact surfaces are even the least bit pitted (and most likely they are) replace and properly set them. If the points' contact surfaces are absolutely smooth and shiny (highly unlikely) you need to properly set them. If you don't have a timing light - buy one - you MUST have it to set the points. I have owned my 1977 KZ650-C1 since it was new (62,000+ miles now) and I can tell you from personal experience that the points ignition system works great, but the points MUST be replaced periodically or the bike will not run well at all. Ed

My bike.
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

Fellas am I too rich? 21 Oct 2019 16:57 #812829

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
You fellas are probably right about the points needing adjusted. I've done a bit over 1000 miles between fixing things this year, and I doubt the PO was on top of things.. I bought new left and right points off z1 enterprises, since probably original (30k miles) and pitted. If not, they weren't very expensive and I don't mind having spare parts since I doubt they still make em. I also bought size 100 main jets, which I will pop in to replace my 102.5s.

Could anyone point me towards a service manual that covers points ignition? I don't think this one does. www.manualslib.com/manual/1006638/Kawasa...html?page=114#manual

I might wait until fall recess (college student), when I do the double disk conversion, to tackle this, but I'd like to read up and understand it in advance.

Fellas am I too rich? 21 Oct 2019 18:19 #812832

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Here's a link to an earlier KZ650 manual. I believe the points are set the same on your year bike. Ed

www.kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/K...Service%20Manual.pdf
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cabbagio Redentor

Fellas am I too rich? 02 Nov 2019 09:58 #813443

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
Heres an update, since I can't just leave a thread without saying the solution.

I believe I found the actual problem. I rode it around a little with the new plugs and it died again after a few blocks. The lights were faint and the turn signals stopped. blinking, so the battery was dead/nearly dead. I was most of the way to class, so I just walked the rest of the way. After class I pulled the two 10Amp fuses leaving only the important one and rode home with as few stops as possible.

I charged the battery, put it back in. My multi-meter was showing 12.5V off and 11.6V when running, which meant the charging system was shot.

WIth much difficulty I disconnected the stator from the reg-rect. This is the connector.

Yikes.

Tested stator, it was giving some AC voltage.

I bought a "new" reg-rect and connected it. Charging system was working now.

Since I broke those glass tube fuses and they are a pain in the ass to find, I replaced the fuse holder with an automotive blade style one.

I still will adjust points and jetting soon.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

• Page: