Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another VM26 Question(s) 04 Oct 2019 20:25 #811831

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I have read about everything I can get my hands on regarding adjusting these carbs after a rebuild including the service manual and a search here on the forum. My first somewhat unanswered question regards the initial bench sync of the carb slides. When you insert the gap tool to set the slide to bore gap I assume this is done from the engine side of the carb correct? My second question regards doing a second carb sync. If a second slide sync is done the engine would have to be running, so is this accomplished with a CarbTune or vacuum gauge? Lastly (?) a final carb adjustment is made using the Carb Tune and adjusting the pilot screw and when doing this adjustment are you looking for highest rpm? Thanks for any info regarding my questions.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 05:06 #811844

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
Yes, vacuum sync after the carbs are installed. Carb Tune is the best. Adjust the pilot air screws to achieve the highest idle speed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 05:15 #811847

• Your_Boy_Yuriy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello,

Answer to First Question: Yes , it is done on the engine side of the carbs. You can also use a wire that is around 1 mm in diameter.
Answer to Second Question: Yes, after doing a bench sync and the engine is still running rough at idle you will need to do a vacuum sync with a warmed up engine. If a good idle is not achieved you might need to check valve clearance and engine compression.
Answer to third Question: I don't fully understand your third question, Sorry.

Please read over this document for more detailed instructions: members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/i.../vm_carb_rebuild.pdf
1982 KZ550C (First love)
1979 KZ650 (project Bike)
2007 Ninja (Project bike)
2020 Tracer GT (current love)

Chicago Western Suburbs

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 10:02 #811867

• Rick H.
  • User
Ok guys. I think I have it. First step is to bench sync the slides to the bore for initial gap. Second step is to put the carbs on the bike and fire it up, then do the same process you did on the bench, but using a Carb Tune or something similar trying to adjust slides for same reading across the board on Carb Tune correct? Then when that process is completed you go back and adjust pilot screws for highest rpm then adjust main idle screw for final idle. Does this sound about right? For some reason it didn't dawn on me that you re-sync the carb slides on the bike with engine running. I thought it wasn't needed after you bench synced them.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 12:46 #811870

• Rick H.
  • User
Thanks for the article Your_Boy_Yuriy. Lot of good stuff in it. Going through a "wet test" of the fuel bowl level is having the level about even with the bottom of the carb body acceptable or too high? All the fuel levels about very close to the picture I have attached. Thanks...

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
Attachments:

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 17:33 #811892

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2071
Generally, the fuel level is near the bottom of the carb body, as yours is. However, the factory service manual has the correct height listed in it. It would be much less frustrating to get it exactly right now, than to have to pull the carbs again and redo the adjustments.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Another VM26 Question(s) 05 Oct 2019 17:44 #811893

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
The level should be 3-4 mm below that edge. They tend to be high for some reason though. Maybe the float needle spring gets weak? Anyway, I adjust them to be in spec because nothing worse than gas spilling on the engine and ground.

Another VM26 Question(s) 06 Oct 2019 06:08 #811913

• Rick H.
  • User
So they are all a bit high I take it. I was trying to find a good reference point for the level. I will bring them down a bit.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Another VM26 Question(s) 06 Oct 2019 11:17 #811927

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1863
Rick h I recently built this in about 20 minuets. Mounted the carb rack to it then I set it on my bench and used bar clamps and shims to level the carbs. I just went thru a float level adjustment. Used an old lawnmower tank for fuel supply. And the clear tube to set the floats. Have patience and be extermly careful with fuel. I put a shutoff in the fuel line and filled the bowls, checked the level, drained the bowls, bent the float tang and repeated till all were set. It’s a PITA.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

• Page: