Carb 2 Questiom

• Kiddynamite8
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2019 20:18 #811160 by Kiddynamite8
Carb 2 Questiom was created by Kiddynamite8
Hi everyone, just picked up a 1978 kz650 and have a question. On the bottom of carb 2 there are 2 nipples. The one to the right is draining down a hose. The one to the left is open. Should it be capped? I'm a total noob and appreciate any help. I attached a pic showing the bottom of the carb. Thanks.

1978 KZ650
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2019 05:19 - 23 Sep 2019 05:29 #811188 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Carb 2 Questiom
Howdy. Your motorcycle has VM24 carburetors w accelerator pump. One of the ports is for draining the carburetors & checking the service fuel level & the drain screw should stop the flow when seated. The other port is the overflow in case the fuel level in the #2 carburetor is too high for whatever reason.

The accelerator pump is a mechanical device that adds a squirt of fuel to each carburetor when you twist the throttle, such as during heavy acceleration. It was added to compensate for a lean condition because of EPA regulations. Each carburetor body has a pump nozzle that projects into the carb bore. You can test the pump by supplying fuel to the carbs, then twisting the throttle >> fuel should squirt out of the nozzles & thru the carb bore without hitting the carburetor walls.

ps: in your pic the pump rod is bent.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2019 05:29 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiddynamite8

More
23 Sep 2019 07:28 #811199 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Carb 2 Questiom
Some people eliminate the accelerator pump system and just re-jet a little richer (maybe a needle adjustment?).
You might have to google to get details or maybe someone here will chime in, who has done it.

• Kiddynamite8
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2019 08:09 #811200 by Kiddynamite8
Replied by Kiddynamite8 on topic Carb 2 Questiom
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it.

So i guess putting a cap on the left nipple is a bad idea!

1978 KZ650

More
23 Sep 2019 08:28 #811201 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Carb 2 Questiom
I would connect tubing & route it behind the engine. Also, to identify which one is which, you could open the drain screw to see which port flows fuel >> that one would be for draining the carburetors or doing the service fuel level check. The other one would be the carb overflow which you do not want to plug.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiddynamite8

• Kiddynamite8
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2019 11:56 #811211 by Kiddynamite8
Replied by Kiddynamite8 on topic Carb 2 Questiom
Thanks! Much appreciated help.

1978 KZ650