Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 carb swap VM26SS or VM22SS 05 Sep 2019 02:24 #810383

• ENTroPicGirl
  • ENTroPicGirl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Customer comes into my shoppe with a cute little KZ750 Four Brat with more issues than National Geographic. Valves are done, tank is free from rust, forks rebuilt new brake pads clean rotors, converted to LED lights with lithium battery and lithium battery specific reg/rec. Last detail, carbs. OEM isn’t an option neither are modern flatsides; they ruin the vintage aesthetic we’re going for.

Specs of the bike are
1982 KZ750 E3 motor 4 cylinder
Exhaust is a pair of 2<1 (one on each side)
Elevation: 6035
Fuel: 93 Octane no ethanol

I’m pretty sure I want to use the larger VM26SS (Pumper) but looking for suggestions and possibly some info on known jetting that works and at what elevation it was set at I can do the math and make it work.

As I stated before I do have a pair of VM22SS ribbed carbs but I don’t believe they will be large enough and since they lack an accelerator pump throttle response would likely be dodgy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 carb swap VM26SS or VM22SS 05 Sep 2019 04:57 #810386

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I think the accelerator pump was added as kind of a band aid to compensate for lean jetting because of EPA regs. It isn't uncommon to disable the thing & retune the carburetors to enrichen them. It doesn't hurt to have it, though, as it adds a squirt of fuel to each carb when twisting the throttle.

VM24 carburetors are another option. elr658 from another Kawisaki forum installed a set on his 750-4. he's about as knowledgeable a Kaw guy as there is. I don't recall if his had the accelerator pump. My 81 Kz650-CSR has them. The VM26 carburetors might be the better option.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ750 carb swap VM26SS or VM22SS 05 Sep 2019 05:52 #810389

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I suspect a set of 24's would run well. They came stock on KZ650's so carb boots should (hopefully) still be available. With 26's you may have to work out some sort of adapter to get them to fit to the head. Hopefully someone more experienced on such matters will chime in with specifics in that regard. The 26's would ultimately make more power but only at high revs, and tuning them would be more challenging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ENTroPicGirl

KZ750 carb swap VM26SS or VM22SS 05 Sep 2019 15:32 #810410

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
26's without an accelerator pump will work great on that bike you just have to use the KZ900 manifolds.

• Page: